Quick Line question [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Quick Line question

Head Hunter
08-04-2006, 03:16 PM
Hi guys,

I'm going to be in Aruba in early October with my company....I know its not the best spot in the world but I'm told you can get some fish (Bones). I have a warm water floating line....but do I also need a sinking?

Any recomendations would great.

Thanks and tight lines,

J

JR SPEY
08-07-2006, 12:35 AM
Nope. Hope you have a terrific trip.

arubaman
08-07-2006, 10:33 AM
In Aruba most of the fishing I do is sight casting. When you try to spot bones you'll be fishing in water less then 3 ft deep. The big advantage of a floating lin is that you can easily recast a fly if the fish changes direction. A sinking line underneath the water gives a lot of resistance and noise. Also a floating line stays clear of the rocks and the corals.
Still I can imagine it to be handy having a sinking line with you. Not all places are shallow and not everywhere you will be sightcasting. If you're going to a pure white sand beach like Eagle beach for instance, the water will run to about 4 or 5 feet just a couple of feet from shore and it will go to 8 or 10 feet within casting reach. If oyu stand there early in the morning or after sunset blindcasting from the beach and stripping back can be a technique. For this way of fishing I think a sinking line would be better. Myself I try to adjust to deeper parts of the water with a longer leader. If the water would be 8 ft deep I tie a longer leader or make my tippet longer. For 8 ft of water a leader of about 12ft will do much better then a regular one of 9ft.

Good luck!

Head Hunter
08-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the good advice......I think I will bring a sinking as well.

Also will bring some wire....from other readings it seems that you can find baracuda with a popper for some fun.

I think I can get out on 3-4 days when I'm there...so hopefully I can post a pic or two.

I was there 5 years ago around new years (very good time).....went out on a charter...caught a white marlin about 90-100lbs.....and a 50-60 lb wahoo.....but it was all trolling and quite boring...So, I'm looking forward to just walking/wading around the shore line. I was going to bring an assortment of flies.

Thanks again

J