You know its bad when... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: You know its bad when...

Sean Juan
08-03-2006, 03:21 PM
You try to doctor a sand shrimp imitation so its small enough to entice a bunker...

Granted I'd probably catch more fish if I could stay in the Yak for more than 15 minutes before needing to dunk in the Bay.

Been real slow but looks like all the pieces are coming together nicely for a great fall.

Dble Haul
08-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Been real slow but looks like all the pieces are coming together nicely for a great fall.

You're talking about autumn and not a fall off of a roof, right? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Things are shaping up very nicely down here in CT/RI for when you and the wife come for a visit this autumn. :smokin:

FrankF
08-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Sean:

You really don't have to alter a fly to catch peanut bunker....I have hooked/speared many right thru their mid section with a four inch deceiver. If the school is big enough, just cast in the middle and strip a little faster. Your are bound to get your first peanut bunker. Not much of a fight though. One time I had one on and then a snail/conch shell grabbed it. Now that was a fight. I guess I fish to close to the bottom. That is where those big bunker are.:lildevl:

Frank

juro
08-03-2006, 05:41 PM
You know it's bad when...

you tie a leader around the dog's collar and throw a tennis ball across the yard (done that for real)

even worse than me:

http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~yaz/en/squirrel_fishing.html

Caster
08-04-2006, 10:28 AM
At the risk of exposing myself as a lurker....

http://www.conknet.com/~b_bull/special/chickenfishing.html

flydoc
08-04-2006, 05:04 PM
Caster- the interpid fly fowler in that article bears a strong resemblance to a certain Mr. Simms....guess he was in serious need of some action, so cast to the nearest moving quarry pending his return to Chatham...I'm sure his wife was able to make something special with that bird!
Flydoc

jhicks
08-05-2006, 07:35 AM
I use a small piece of yarn to fish for squirrels all the time. This is a great way to work on your accuracy for those difficult streams up north.

jimS
08-05-2006, 12:00 PM
Doc, the resemblance is certainly there. I have practiced casting at a moving dog, at times, but had not thought about fowl. As an avid grouse hunter, there have been times when I had thought it would be nice to practice catch and release when the cycle is at its low ebb. Now, there may be an approach...

Caster
08-07-2006, 11:35 AM
Backyard casting to the neighbor's cat can be fun also.....olive over white deceiver seems to work best. Barbless of course.....:wink:

titleguy
08-07-2006, 12:14 PM
I've always enjoyed "catfishing":hihi: There was a bit in National Lampoon Magazine many years ago " Dogfishing in Manhattan" Had fighting chair and stand-up gear in the back of a truck and would troll kittens for dogs. Showed a great hook-up with a doberman.:devil: