Any Rip Trips? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Any Rip Trips?

FredA
08-01-2006, 08:54 AM
Nice timing (though anemic) on the tide Saturday.

striblue
08-01-2006, 10:03 AM
Fred, I spoke with Keith and Mike Brady and Fish Hawk...........and we are looking to get this done on August 12....... best tides...yada, yada... you know the drill.

FredA
08-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Ugh!

I may be a bachlor for the weekend and was lookin for something to do. John, you fishing this weekend?

I think we're having company the following weekend so that won't work for me.

shadfreak
08-01-2006, 10:30 AM
I would in for the 12th.
Larry

Adrian
08-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Ahh the "glorious twelfth" :smokin:

Since I won't be swinging a matched pair of Purdey's on my favorite grouse moor this year (well, I can dream, can't I? :rolleyes:), that week-end works for me too :D

flydoc
08-01-2006, 01:41 PM
Count me in!
Flydoc

CSJ60
08-01-2006, 01:51 PM
I can make the 12th...

striblue
08-01-2006, 09:34 PM
OK... looks like we got the "usual" suspects!.. a really notrious bunch..... I will be fishing SB tomorrow with a friend namwed jack Fredman... then back in boston until Tuesday of next week... My real goal is to get 10 fly guys down for the overnight....... and Adrian!! we need Dave Pearson on the overnight....John

jimS
08-02-2006, 02:23 PM
John, I'm in for the 12th...

Dble Haul
08-02-2006, 02:46 PM
My August is extremely busy, so I can't make this one.

Good luck to those who go!

bonefishmon
08-02-2006, 04:33 PM
Looks good for me at this point. Please add me to the list.

Phil

striperstripper
08-02-2006, 05:16 PM
The 12th works for me also.

rooster
08-02-2006, 08:04 PM
Did Simms say he was in for 8/12?????
Does he ever sleep in PA anymore!!!!
I can't wait to retire!
Jim you are one lucky man. (or at least you have your priorities straight!):cool:
Cheers,
DK

juro
08-02-2006, 11:22 PM
I'll take the tenth spot. :cool:

Pending a response; I might be working Sat. Go ahead and commit if someone is firm and you got it by our guidelines for sign up.

FishHawk
08-05-2006, 11:24 AM
To reconfirm I'm in for the 12th. Got some info from a good source that there are a lot of fish down there. FishHawk

jimS
08-05-2006, 12:09 PM
Rooster, as I told my brother last year, life is an adventure. You can choose to be a bystander or a participant. He chooses the former.

Let's see, since the Cape in June, you are going to the Baja, British Colombia, and back to the Cape In September. After that bird season and deer hunting. You are definitely a participant!

See ya next month.

rooster
08-06-2006, 10:31 PM
Hey Jimbo,
I'll miss your rip trip, but Friday will find me flying towards Dungas Island, north of the Queen Charlottes out of Prince Rupert. We tore up the silvers in the salt last year and plan to do it again. It will be nice to need a jacket and long sleeve again as it has been HOT our here until this past week. I'm bringing the floating line this year as I caught several on poppers last August and it was a hoot.
I'll keep you posted when (if) I return! I even put new batteries in the GPS, as the sea fog up there can make for some interesting navigation. We'll be doing the self guided deal again and should be a good group.
Cheers,
DK
PS...., cabo isn't until Oct, which will be after CO bowhunts for Elk and bear...., would want to confuse you...,PPS-drew the Iowa bowtag...!:lildevl:

Adrian
08-07-2006, 08:53 PM
John,

Any update on 8/12?

Hate to 'jinx' things but the big "W" doesn't look too bad currently ......

striperstripper
08-07-2006, 09:27 PM
If the rip trip does'nt go off the canal and upper cape creeks all have plus and minus tides,usually makes for some great fishing,and exposes the canal to better access .The canal and upper cape creeks are full of juvi herring and large silversides.This mornings east tide had fish breaking from the edges out to the middle.I was throwing the conventional, though wishing I had brought the fly rod,or spey.

Adrian
08-08-2006, 06:53 AM
Paul, my thoughts exactly :smokin:

shadfreak
08-08-2006, 05:40 PM
hi
What is the status of the rip trip?
Larry

FredA
08-08-2006, 06:00 PM
Just to clarify, seeing that I started this thread, I have company coming this weekend and can't make it to da rip.

FrankF
08-08-2006, 08:51 PM
If Fred is not going and your need a tenth I would like to go. Just let me know the time I have to be at Morris Island. :)

flydoc
08-08-2006, 09:48 PM
We're obviously waiting for final confirmation from the mayor on this one, but the current roster based on order of response to the thread seems to be (from top to bottom):
1) Striblue
2) Fishhawk (included in John's initial post)
3) Shadfreak
4) Adrian
5) Flydoc
6) CSJ60
7) jimS
8) bonefishmon
9) striperstripper
10) ?juro- posted "maybe" to this thread 8/3/06, then posted "probably in NH Saturday" in another thread on 8/7/06- please let us know if you can't make ASAP
11) FrankF (in if juro or anyone else pulls out)

If this is a no go, I'll have to decide whether to join Paul at the Canal with my two hander (tempting, as I've never been) or to hit SB with whomever shows at the refuge that AM. Decisions, decisions.....
Flydoc

sradin
08-09-2006, 04:48 PM
I can make it on the 12th.

jimS
08-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Guys, I talked to John last night and Keith today. Looks like a sure go, obviously weather dependent, but wx looks very good. While there are blues in the rip, according to Keith, bonita could be in the mix.

juro
08-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Hi Sam,

Glad you got on board. I just spoke with the Admiral, the trip is ON.

Jim Simms also spoke with him in person this afternoon on location.

The current signup list is good to go, including Frank and Sam.

1) Striblue
2) Fishhawk (included in John's initial post)
3) Shadfreak
4) Adrian
5) Flydoc
6) CSJ60
7) jimS
8) bonefishmon
9) striperstripper
10) FrankF
11) SRadin

Juro- in NH Saturday teaching

Flydoc thanks for taking the bull by the horns.

*** ALL - PLS COMMIT / CONFIRM ASAP ***

The fee is split among the group. If you are on the list, you are expected to cover your portion ($30 round trip).

If you are not attending inform the group right away.

thank you

Adrian
08-09-2006, 05:48 PM
CONFIRMED :smokin:

FrankF
08-09-2006, 06:00 PM
CONFIRMED

Also I would like to confirm the start time at the Rip Ryder pick up on Morris Island. It's 7am right?

Frank

striblue
08-09-2006, 06:14 PM
Sorry for not getting back and thanks to Flydoc and Juro for the up date...SO WE ARE ON AND THE WEATHER LOOKS GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!The roster is as you see... I will be driving down to Chatham tomorrow(THurs)... and I am certain that this is a 7am takeoff time.... you all know the drill and what to bring... travel light.... but don't forget lunch and water... $30 each.... Shad and Fishhawk are staying at CAC, my kids wiull be down but there is plenty of room so if anyone is in a bind they are also welcome...scotch and a relaxing evening at CAC...John.... I have a laptop in Chatham and will update LATE friday night...ok?

CSJ60
08-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Confirmed:D

flydoc
08-09-2006, 07:12 PM
John- Thanks for organizing this, as always. Will see you at CAC Friday PM for a wee dram, and at 7 AM on Saturday AM. Time to tie some zonker flies for the hardtails!:devil:
Flydoc

juro
08-09-2006, 07:47 PM
MAN do I regret missing this one... what a motley crew ;)

I wish you guys the best of tides and times!

1) Striblue
2) Fishhawk
3) Shadfreak
4) Adrian
5) Flydoc
6) CSJ60
7) jimS
8) bonefishmon
9) striperstripper
10) FrankF
11) SRadin

Btw - Paul Cheever (striperstripper) mentioned that he might not be able to make it and works various hours so check back later if you are waiting to get on the boat. I think Phil (bonefishmon) also works different shifts. If you are thinking of signing up it might be a good idea to get on the waiting list.

bonefishmon
08-10-2006, 05:21 AM
Please put me on the waiting list and fill my spot. My Subaru is acting up and the part I need may not be in in time to guarantee me a successful drive out and back. If the part arrives and gets installed in time I may jump back in.

There are tons and tons of birds working as I speak right outside. Wish I could afford more hooky hours this summer. A fourty is in the cards close to my door.
Fish are on clouds of dime size bunker everywhere.

I really hope to make it because this group rocks! If not, best of luck guys! Thanks John and everyone for putting this together.

Phil

FishHawk
08-10-2006, 05:36 AM
Bring wire, what a treat if we got into Bones. After the last session at the CAC we'll probably pull an all nighter. Will get some sleep on the boat .

jfbasser
08-10-2006, 06:54 AM
Good luck, Frank...I will be checking on the Middleside Action with Slingman....We have some Bluegills justing starting the migration across the pond...

striperstripper
08-10-2006, 03:24 PM
The wife took a tumble and cracked a rib or 2 ,I must stay within shouting distance,good luck to all .

Adrian
08-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Paul, thats too bad, hope she heals up real soon :frown:

juro
08-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Sorry to hear about the mishap - I am sure she will appreciate your being close by. You're a good man to make the right call and I hope she recovers quickly.

striperstripper
08-10-2006, 06:09 PM
Thanks guys,I'm sure you guys know there's not much that can be done with rib injuries,doc says 6 weeks to heal,no body wrap just mind altering drugs.If this was a trip I could just leave on my own if I had to I would have made it.Reports say there are fish to be had in the rip area .

FishHawk
08-11-2006, 04:25 AM
I too know about ribs, broke one . It's very painful. FishHawk

striblue
08-11-2006, 10:16 AM
Sorry to hear about that Paul...but the right decision.... we are still on... last roster count tonight.... PLEASE post if you will not make it... since the rest of us will have to pick up the cost difference. Had dinner at the Squire with JimS last night... we got thrown out which was great since it brought back great memories...anyway....... and I expect to see Shad and THE fish hawk at CAC tonight.

juro
08-11-2006, 10:34 AM
Thrown out of the Squire! Now that does rate...

But until you have to take a cab from chatham to... well chatham you are #2 to Dave17 and Sean :hihi:

Wish I was down with the gang this weekend!

Adrian
08-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Cool John , you still got all your teeth I hope? :lildevl:

I might just stick my head 'round the CAC door later on.

Hoping to hit the Cape early evening and get my steamer fix :smokin:

striblue
08-11-2006, 12:41 PM
Adrian.... teeth still there... and as you know I was just Joking.... please stop by tonight or....I warn you.... we will be down at School house pond address TO VISIT YOU... ...Need to swear in Jim Shepard into CAC tonight...

sradin
08-11-2006, 12:49 PM
CONFIRMED FOR SATURDAY AT 7:00 am

nmbrowncom
08-11-2006, 03:45 PM
if there is room for one more i'd like to sign up. can someone let me know?thanks

juro
08-11-2006, 03:53 PM
1) Striblue
2) Fishhawk
3) Shadfreak
4) Adrian
5) Flydoc
6) CSJ60
7) jimS
8) FrankF
9) SRadin
=>nmbrowncom,

If I am not mistaken, you are the tenth confirming participant. Wish it were me!

John,
not meaning to step in but I am chained to the computer for a big go-live release next week so am able to monitor in stride. Please confirm the above when you get the chance.

Rip Ryder
08-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Right now I am getting conflicting reports.

One says 10-15 seas 1-3 and the other says 10-15 gusting to 20. Well today was 10-15 and we had all of 25 with some higher gusts.

I will wait for the 9 pm forecast and then post a final decision.

IF the rip trip doesn't go I have a back up in place, as I got permission to go to the North end of South Monomoy, so you can fish the west and north end flats.

I will post again after 9

Keith

flydoc
08-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Mmmmm...hope I can still drive to the CAC while keeping 8 of 10 fingers crossed until 9 PM!
Flydoc

striblue
08-11-2006, 08:44 PM
Bill , Flydoc and I are now watching "Master And Commander". After having taken a night time sortie in the F1-117 sealth land based Spec. operatiions car to Admial Ed's compond where we tried to locate special agent Adrian Sharp........ to no avail....... SEE YOU ALL TOMOROW AND BRING YOU KNIVES|FOR THE INVASION... Bill ...FishHwak made me say this under duress....we want arial servalance by the Pengun in his beat up AC-130... Over and out...

Adrian
08-11-2006, 08:49 PM
Wow, I've been "outed":hihi:

Planning a stop at local Quartermasters (aka Larry's) for a cholesterol fix at about 5:00-5:30 a.m.

Just catching the end of the Sox game - David Wells had a good night :smokin:

Rip Ryder
08-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Right now I would say it looks like we will have wind up to 20 in the afternoon. IF they are as accurate as they have been (not) we may see wind up to 25. Today for example 10-15 and we were all of 25. I think we should wait to make a final decision in the morning. I got burnt on the last two mornings with their light wind forecasts only to have to cancel two early cruises each day to the lighthouse.

Keith

Dave17
08-13-2006, 12:05 AM
How did it go?

FishHawk
08-13-2006, 08:44 AM
It went very well. Plenty of fish , bait , cold water and current. We saw plenty of large fish and got into the usual hungry mid size bass. Biggest fish of the day was a 30" not to bad for an August trip. A hardcore non stop fishing gang. Had a great time. Went to the Squire afterward and had their steamers what a treat. FishHawk

nmbrowncom
08-13-2006, 04:53 PM
i checked and on the 18th (friday) the tide is high at monomoy at 8:20 a.m. juro said that fishing an outgoing tide on the rip is generally best. since the wind prohibited us from fishing the rip yesterday would anyone be up for the 18th?

jimS
08-13-2006, 07:22 PM
Well, well...for the forum members and the lurkers...the eventual location, north tip of S. Monomoy was awesome! Outgoing tide produced some garangtun bass, and CSJ60 hooked and landed a 33 inch bass. It only gets better on the incoming tide, real hogs and the coming tight part is tough. In fact, it wasn"t until today that the code was broken. A black snake fly patten that sank quickly in the current was the key. Our man, CSJ60 landed four keepers, biggest 34 on that fly.

The bunker are comng in large quantities and the bass are following. Big tides bring monumental changes on the inside. Water temp on the incoming is 61 degrees, ideal.

If you feel ill and can get a day off, this is the time. Lots of bait and BIG fish...

juro
08-13-2006, 10:32 PM
Bunker have been present and increasing over the last two weeks, fishing has been very good and getting better. Glad to hear you guys got into them and didn't let all the bigger fish get by. A black snake fly eh? Pretty neat. Must've gone through quite an assortment to get to that on a mid-day flood tide!

Neal -

18th is a possibility for me. A weak tide but the timing is very good.

Cole
08-14-2006, 07:22 AM
I fished the flood on the outside/inside over at SB and it was great. I had a limited number of casts because I brought the girlfriend, but I did sight catch a fat 30" near the channel warning marker, in addition to 5 schoolies. One thing to note, I told the boys on the rip ryder (coming back from South Monomoy), there was an epic blitz off of the beach from 12-130, just acres and acres of blitzing striper. I only managed a couple of schoolies out of the pack, but it seems stuff is definately getting to fall mode...

juro
08-14-2006, 07:35 AM
Things are a POPPIN'! Frankly it's been good for weeks IMHO. And now it's really getting good.

CSJ60
08-14-2006, 03:51 PM
Sight fishing was excellent, my best fish over the weekend fell for a green crab in 2' of water. What a rush and a real beauty. Most of the legal fish were taken sight fishing on the flats. :smokin: What worked... Deep Eel, Green Crab, KMcFly Special, Snake Fly. JimS had the mojo working as well catching quality fish on the flats over the weekend but thatís no surprise.

bonefishmon
08-14-2006, 05:29 PM
I'm estatic that you guys had a good day on the water together. Sounds like it may have been a better choice than the southern rip. I won't miss the next one! Paul.
I hope your spouse is feeling better and is breathing without too much pain. I look forward to fishing with you again.
Larry. Did you spot any bluefish for those popers you love to throw?
John. Or is it Frank? So glad you were out on the water with the CAC gang. Any new heads for the Fez?
Adrian. The flats are alive at night on your favorite salt pond. Got a great report from Saturday night. Some big fish caught starting at dusk on the other side of the.......undisclosed spot. You know where it is.
Bill. Who overslept? Hope he didn't miss the boat? Glad you did well on No. side. Craig. Crab recipe please! You must have been a striper in your previous life.
Flydoc. Could have used your expertise last night. Close call with a bee sting. Hope your day went well with the long rod.
Jim. I missed another day spent with one special gentleman that I admire very much. Glad you are back on your second home turf........I mean flats.
And the rest of the guys....what a day! Hope we'll meet at some point.

Phil

flydoc
08-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Phil- his honor overslept a wee bit, but made it over on the second boat to join the group. While I enjoyed the company and the gorgeous Monomoy vista, my endeavors to entice our finned friends came to naught. The main problem was that I brought my Atlantis expecting to fish the rip with a full grain sink tip line, only to find out that due to wind we would be fishing mostly shallow flats along the north end of the island. The Atlantis (except in Juro's and a few other expert hands) is not well suited to sightfishing, and I either spooked or "educated" many a sighted fish despite switching to the intermediate head Airflo line. I did get a few follows ending in frustrating refusals, as well as a classic bluefish take/chomp/bye to my fly (end of leader frayed in classic style). Never got to the "secret fly" that resulted in success for others in the group; the late night festivities at the CAC (2:30 AM???) combined with my growing annoyance at the greenheads taking chunks of flesh from my legs to wear me down by mid afternoon. Keith couldn't have come soon enough for me, and I decided to forgo the usual afterparty at the Squire for an extended nap in the recliner (woke up at about 11 PM...). Will remember four things for next time: (1) spare 9wt rod with floating/intermediate/sinking lines, (2) high strength bug juice (should have borrowed some of John's when he offered), (3) sparsely tied clousers and sand eels as well as other "flats flies", and (4) to put sunscreen on my *&^(!ing legs or wear waders!!! (usually do one or other, but was in rush to get out of house that AM after brief nap- only put it on face/neck/arms and wore shorts and booties instead of waders)- trouble sleeping most of Sat and Sun nights due to pain in legs from sunburn....OUCH!!! Hope others will learn from my errors....better luck next time;)
Flydoc

striblue
08-15-2006, 08:42 AM
Jim, be prepared... expect a fez photo this evening..... and remember the oath...." I , state your name, will abide by rhe rules of CAC, I will never disavow, nor deny. or not recocnize any of the a******* I met thought this club....This I swear, so help me God"

jfbasser
08-15-2006, 11:50 AM
Stri's post at 9:42 AM...that's about the time he gets up:)

striblue
08-15-2006, 05:21 PM
Johno...... no... that canal time with sluggo's;)

flydoc
08-15-2006, 05:25 PM
I heard he gets the pink ones at a special boutique in P-Town:hihi:
Flydoc

jimS
08-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Hmmm. that might have been the real deal on the flats this past few days. I never thought about it until I was talking to Harry Koons at the Nauset Angler today. My wife, spied a packet of pink sluggos, and thought of a good friend of ours. She suggested that I buy the packet, dole them out to friends and have them mail them anonymously to him...

Anyway, Fishhawk and maybe CSJ60 will be on the flats with me in the a.m., and we will be trying some unorthodox patterns to see if the big boys will eat. I'll post tomorrow.

jfbasser
08-15-2006, 05:47 PM
Johno...... no... that canal time with sluggo's;)

Oh no, Frank...9:42 AM is breakfast time at Leo's in Buzzard's Bay :devil:

Canal Fishers have limited out by the time you get up most mornings :biggrin:

bonefishmon
08-15-2006, 07:03 PM
Hmmm. that might have been the real deal on the flats this past few days. I never thought about it until I was talking to Harry Koons at the Nauset Angler today. My wife, spied a packet of pink sluggos, and thought of a good friend of ours. She suggested that I buy the packet, dole them out to friends and have them mail them anonymously to him...

Anyway, Fishhawk and maybe CSJ60 will be on the flats with me in the a.m., and we will be trying some unorthodox patterns to see if the big boys will eat. I'll post tomorrow.

Should be a good time to fish. High tide at 7:30am. Wind 10 mph at the most with a few clouds hitting around noon. Good luck Jim! I'll be on the lookout for that post. I'd join you but the hand that took the bee sting is now swollen and infected. The IV I just got an hour ago should help. They never took the stinger out at the ER. Got it out yesterday with some twizzers. JEEEEEEEEZ!

Phil

Adrian
08-15-2006, 08:25 PM
Jim & Bill, you can throw the 5 incher on a 9wt - just slow down the stroke, open up the loop and make sure you allow that backcast to straighten out :lildevl:

Quentin
08-15-2006, 09:04 PM
Jim & Bill, you can throw the 5 incher on a 9wt - just slow down the stroke, open up the loop and make sure you allow that backcast to straighten out :lildevl:

You could probably throw them pretty well with a shooting head setup. Shorten the head to about zero, make one backcast with a foot or so of leader out, make one strong forward cast and shoot some line :hihi: .

Q

CSJ60
08-16-2006, 12:00 PM
Couldn't swing taking time off from work. I'm sure JimS and FishHawk are having a great day on the flats.

juro
08-16-2006, 12:33 PM
BUMMER.... I'm in the same boat - dreaming from work

bonefishmon
08-16-2006, 04:41 PM
At least someone we know and like will be out there living our daydreams.

Phil

FishHawk
08-17-2006, 06:40 AM
We had an awesome day . Plenty of aggressive fish. Small Olive Deep Eels did the trick as did a new Flatwing Clouser. Yes, I broke down and married the best of the Clouser with that of a Flatwing. A simple but deadly fly. Fish were feeding on sandeels , and small peanuts. Once the boats and people showed up late in the day the fishing slowed down.
You know that Jim has caught a lot of fish when he took a lunch break durning a blitz!!!:hihi: :chuckle:
Bass were Blitzing early in the morning. What a sight , you know what that means Winter is around the corner. FishHawk

flydoc
08-17-2006, 06:57 PM
Jim, be prepared... expect a fez photo this evening..... and remember the oath...." I , state your name, will abide by rhe rules of CAC, I will never disavow, nor deny. or not recocnize any of the a******* I met thought this club....This I swear, so help me God"

Rumor has it the photo was confiscated by the FBI for national security purposes...the subject was being sought in connection with two covert operatives of FFF (Federation of Flyfishing Franks) who have been implicated in several international intelligence capers....:hihi:
Flydoc

jfbasser
08-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Striblue can easily be exposed on any covert op...just listen for the snoring :smokin:

the Real Frank

jimS
08-17-2006, 08:56 PM
As FishHawk indicated in his post of yesterday, the last of the big tide provided some epic viewing and fishing for August. On the outgoing in the a.m., bass were everywhere on the flats. The bigger guys were tough to entice to eat, but a good bunny fly presentation and a couple of erratic strips gave you a hookup.

The bass were blitzing schools of bunker, about 1-1/4 inches in length. Lots of blitzes on the schools and it appeared to be swarm feeding. The big guys were on the prowl and were not excited about the large schools of bunker.

Interestingly, on the outgoing, the bass wwere actually going with the current, not against it, as one would suspect. As a result, incoming tide in the p.m. was disappointing. No influx of magnitude on the flats.

IMHO, the big tides the past 10 days brought the bait, and the fish. Now that the tides are normal, the bait is leaving, and so are the fish. Good tides at the end of August, and after Labor Day. I think those tides will fish.

See you on the water after Labor Day.

juro
08-18-2006, 07:19 AM
Amazing what bait will do for the place.

Fall action straight ahead. Nauset is open down to the camp area oversand, if the lettuce is gone we should see some great hardtail action from shore anyday now. The cooler temps kept some big fish in the inlet all year but we couldn't get down to them without walking 10 miles. I hope to catch an 'electric blue' tinker mac blitz this year... Harry Koons has had some silly cow bass from the beach in August in the 30# class one after the other when they come in.

Big sand eels around Chatham this year... only a matter of timing when big girl bar will get hot. Capt. Keith has already seen funny fish popping around the usual spots.

Flats have been very good for weeks now and with the bunker in town will be fun thru October. The fish aren't leaving for months.

Bayside bars at mid tide corrals bunker shoals for the stripers and 100 yard blitzes erupt in two feet of water about this time of year. Canal's been hot.

SBFT season opens in a few days for the boat guys.

Overall a slow start but things really took off the last few weeks and fall migration promises to be chaotic!