Fun with carp 7/29 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fun with carp 7/29

Quentin
07-30-2006, 07:38 PM
This year I've been having a tough time persuading the carp to hit at the local lake but they were a little more cooperative yesterday. The first place I checked was a shallow, calm corner with lily pads and submerged stumps. I saw some carp under the pads as I moved towards shore, and then saw a disturbance in a ten foot opening in the lilies right next to shore. A carp was feeding next to a stump and its back was rippling the surface. Somehow I dropped a berry fly in the right spot on the first cast, and the carp grabbed the fly but came unhooked after a couple seconds. Probably a good thing because it would have dragged my line around a few dozen lily pads if it stayed hooked. A few minutes later I spotted another fish in a larger open area and I managed to hook and land that one. It was a short line battle for a while as I maneuvered it away from the lilies, then it charged for another set of pads and I had to clear the line and put the fish on the reel. We tussled for a while more and I finally pulled the boat close enough to get some photos and release the fish. Had a few other hits and misses and landed one more for the day. Both of the fish I landed were probably in the 10-12# range. Here's the first one:

Quentin
07-30-2006, 07:39 PM
same fish:

juro
07-30-2006, 10:00 PM
Looks like it's churning up some serious water! Nice report.

JR SPEY
07-31-2006, 10:20 AM
I just spent about five days fishing for carp on the flats in Lake Michigan. If it weren't for the freshwater and the taller trees, you'd swear you were wading Acklins or Crooked. It's sight fishing only and sometimes one goes a couple of hours without casting, but when they show up it's incredible. The two largest were over twenty pounds with the biggest one approaching thirty. That large one took about sixty yards of backing and made the reel sing just about how a bonefish would manage. The water is warm enough to wet wade. Really, the only negative is the slimy algae growth that's infected the lake over the last ten years or so. It hangs on every knot and the fly just about every other cast. They say it's another sitation created by the zebra mussel. It's still well worth doing, though.

Quentin
07-31-2006, 06:53 PM
. . . The two largest were over twenty pounds with the biggest one approaching thirty. That large one took about sixty yards of backing and made the reel sing just about how a bonefish would manage. . . .

Nice! I might have caught a couple that were around 20# but nothing close to 30 yet. Sounds like a great place to sightfish.

Hmm . . . I wonder how much backing a 20#+ bonefish would take :lildevl:

Q

juro
07-31-2006, 07:22 PM
Hmm . . . I wonder how much backing a 20#+ bonefish would take :lildevl:
Q

ALL of it. :D

jhicks
08-05-2006, 07:47 AM
speaking of carp, does anyone know of some good carp water in the boston and southern NH area? I have heard so much about this and really want to target these guys. Especially in the dog days when trout can really be hurt by this heat.

Feel free to PM me.

Quentin
08-07-2006, 10:52 PM
I don't know those areas but I'm sure there's plenty of good carp fishing to be had. You might try posting a new thread and maybe you'll get more info.

Sorry I can't be much more helpful

Q

juro
08-08-2006, 12:18 AM
jhicks -

I have seen HUGE carp in Mystic Lakes, which are in Winchester, Arlington, Medford and Somerville.

But there are not too many areas that are really sight fishing areas in the sense I am used to. However the fish are monstrous and quite visible even from shore.