Striper poachers busted in NH [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Striper poachers busted in NH

Warren
07-30-2006, 05:12 AM
I just saw this on the NH fish & game website.

NH Fish & Game article (http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Newsroom/News_2006/News_2006_Q3/Striper_enforcement_072806.htm)

There has been some recent discussion on this topic & I thought you might find it interesting.

I am sure that there are more than the twenty poachers they caught out there. However; if the news is spread they are watching and making an effort maybe some of the poachers will think twice.

Dble Haul
07-30-2006, 12:11 PM
It's nice to hear that some of the bad guys are getting caught. Thanks for sharing this information.

flydoc
07-30-2006, 12:22 PM
Doesn't NH have the death penalty for striper poachers? I wish MA did...:lildevl:
Flydoc

juro
07-31-2006, 07:14 AM
Some of those lobsters and stripers are barely big enough to be bait!!! :mad:

They got what they deserved, however I fear it's only a tiny percentage of what's going on out there.

I wonder if the MA EPO's could cover the other side of the border, it's rampant there.

Sean Juan
07-31-2006, 03:41 PM
Any more News on the organized crime aspect of poaching...

When I lived further North heard about it all the time, basically gangs would have look outs and stuff fish is big bucks to the right people - meaning the wrong people.

juro
07-31-2006, 04:11 PM
Sean,

It's common on the Cape as well... families stashing them in their boats with mothers promoting the act; old timers practicing fillet and release at night on the southside beaches, who knows what's happening out on the boats.

It's a big problem alright. Checking at parking lots and boat ramps is common on the pacific salmon coast. I would like to see it happening here, personally.