beggeiners rod [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: beggeiners rod

mike20mrb
07-29-2006, 08:16 PM
what type of rod should i get to learn about the art of fly fishing

neastfly
07-29-2006, 10:22 PM
It depends...

Where in Ohio are you? What type of fish do you like catch?

mike20mrb
07-30-2006, 05:36 PM
well i do normal fishin and i go for panfish and bass and some trout
i am in central area in a town called marion but i fish all over the state

mike20mrb
07-30-2006, 06:05 PM
and some gear what would u recomend for a beginer but cant to pricy and i am on a budget, getting a car soon so cheap is good for me

neastfly
07-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Thinking of central Ohio in the Summer just makes me want to go bass fishing...You've got some great bass, crappie, and even carp. Mad River is pretty much the main trout destination in the area.

I'd pick up a 6 or 7 weight rod and match that with a weight forward floating fly line and an inexpensive reel. Pick up a few poppers and have fun.

Last time I was in town, there were at least two "fly shops" not too far from you. See what they have to say in regards to equipment, flies, etc.

Fly fishing is a slippery slope. If you take to it, before you know it you will be scraping change together for gas money so that you can drive a couple hours North. There you will stand in a river shivering as freezing rain pours down for hours, just for the chance to hook into a steelhead. You say you want to learn about the "art of fly fishing"? It is usually not art - it's way more fun!

teflon_jones
07-31-2006, 12:27 AM
First off, welcome to the forum! :)

I'd get a 5 or 6 wt 8.5 or 9 ft moderate action rod. The 5 wt will be a little light to cast big bass poppers easily, but will still make trout and panfish fishing fun. A 6 wt is a bit heavy for panfish and Ohio trout IMHO. An 8.5 or 9 ft rod won't really make a huge difference so you could go either way there. I'd stick to a moderate action for a couple of reasons:
1. The softer the action, the easier it is to learn how to cast. It will load easier and be more forgiving of mistakes.
2. A softer action rod is more accurate than a faster action.

I'll have to disagree with neastfly on the 7 wt. That's ok for bass, but way too heavy for trout or panfish.

How much are you looking to spend for everything?

jhicks
07-31-2006, 08:55 AM
Ok my .02cents.

A 9' 6wt will be your rod to start with. If you can find a medium action rod or mid flex as orvis calls it. The rod will be stout enough to handle larger bass steelhead, large browns and it will cast big poppers and buggers. It will be soft enough to make fishing for trout and panfish still fun. I would go for a longer rod 9' or even 10' because it will make mending and casting into the wind much easier.

So now that I have said that lets get into brand issues. IMHO the rod for you would be a TFO. This is a great starter rod for the money. Hell, I know pros that love them. I have cast the TFO 6wt and it is a great rod for the money. Later on you will graduate into better faster/softer rods. (Sage, T&T Winston Etc.)

As for reels well just about anything will do to start for you. Just make sure you bring your rod into the store with you to buy it. Look for a reel that balances your rod well. This will cut down on fatigue for you in the long run. The rod should balance with the reel and line just in front of the reel seat.

Ok, lets talk about line options. Once again IMHO a great line is a WF (weight forward) or DT (double taper) line. The guy at the shop will tell you the same thing. Some will only suggest a WF line to start, but I like a DT because you are carrying a heavier belly out and able to load your rod better. Plus it makes roll casting much much easier.

In closing this is a beginning of a long road for you. In the end you will look back on thousands and thousands of dollars and lots and lots of equipment.

Casting at Shadows
07-31-2006, 01:46 PM
Without knowing the size of the water it is hard to know. 9'6 or a 10' rod would be a sensible choice and a Weight Forward 7 weight line will suit it.

Don't spend too much money on a reel - you are unlikely to be in the scenario (to start with at least) whereby you need to use any kind of sophisticated drag system on your reel so a cheap one will suffice short term.

mike20mrb
07-31-2006, 03:32 PM
thanks for all the info guys, neastfly ohio dose have nice bass, and i really look foward to starting to fly fishing:)

mike20mrb
07-31-2006, 03:38 PM
o yeah, telon jones my max of what i am willing to spend is 100 bucks

mike20mrb
07-31-2006, 04:37 PM
never mind bout the 100 bucks i think i am going to go for this at cabelas

<BLATANT LINK DELETED>

juro
07-31-2006, 05:03 PM
Mike -

Your membership doesn't ask for much. Please abide by it.

No commercial non-sponsor links, and keep the language family oriented.

thanks

mike20mrb
07-31-2006, 07:29 PM
ok i will keep that in mind