Atlantic Salmon Fly of the week Taylor Special. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Atlantic Salmon Fly of the week Taylor Special.

Charlie
07-28-2006, 03:49 PM
The original Taylor special was invented by Arthur Taylor who used dark green wool for the front half of the body. Taylor, an artist from Lee, Main invented the fly in 1986. The fly was later modified by Bill Taylor who substituted Peacock for the green wool. Many consider this fly a version of the rat series of salmon flies.

Hook: Up eye salmon.
Tag: Oval silver tinsel and yellow floss dressed long.
Body: Rear 1/2 fluorescent green floss, front Peacock herl
Veiling: Fluorescent green floss over rear half of body
Rib: Oval silver tinsel over Peacock herl
Wing: Dyed fluorescent green squirrel tail.
Collar: Yellow hackle.
Head: Black

flytyer
07-28-2006, 09:14 PM
Charlie,

Interesting fly that I must confess I've unfamiliar with. It would probably work pretty well for west coast summer/fall kings when the water is low and slow.

To my eyes, it also looks a lot like a variation of the Green Rat.

Eric
07-29-2006, 10:45 AM
Evolution of the Rat:

Funny how a prototype pattern, such as the Rusty Rat, will spin off variants. We used a green-bodied Rat variation on the Deschutes very similar to the one Charlie features, only we used either gray or red squirrel in the wing, peacock herl mid-wing, and peacock sword for the tail.

It was a good fly, since steelhead seem partial to green, but I don't think it was as effective as a hair-wing Green Highlander fished in similar circumstances.

Cheers,

-- Eric

Charlie
07-31-2006, 06:55 AM
Guys,

You may be unfamiliar with it because I screwed up, this one is supposed to be the Atlantic Salmon fly of the week. Sorry for the mistake.

Charlie

chromedome
08-02-2006, 09:28 PM
I fished the Little Southwest Mirimichi a few years ago and if I'm not mistaken this was one of the local favorites.