early season kings [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: early season kings

tight-lines
07-28-2006, 04:49 PM
I was hoping someone could give me some advise on targeting early season kings on the Salmon river. I 've read depending on weather they can be caught in the Douglason stretch in early Sept. What are the primary things I should be looking for before heading up water temp? volume?. What technics work on the early run are they a little more aggressive? I guess I'm a little tired of the meat hunters and just what to try some semi- secluded catch and release salmon action. Any help would be greatly apprieciated. Also feel free to P.M. me

Jim Miller
07-28-2006, 05:31 PM
They will start filtering in late August. This year, with all the rain .... I would think there will be a late August run. Usually it is low water levels that stops them from running upriver. I 'll start fishing there after Labor Day.
Big bright steamers/estez and black wooley buggers work for me. :D
I betcha there are also summer steelhead and atlantics in the river now. Although not in great numbers.
Good Luck!

tight-lines
07-28-2006, 06:55 PM
thanks Jim is the Douglaston area were I want to try?

Jim Miller
07-28-2006, 08:04 PM
Yup... or just above if you don't want to pay the fee. Sometimes the kings will mill around in the estuary with a few running the lower river ... kinda like scouts. If you are in the lowest part of the river... you'll have more shots at aggressive fish.
Once they start running in mass, and the word get's out, the crowds start showing up......

tight-lines
07-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Got it! thanks
I think I'm going to give it a shot this year