Danielsson LW question [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Danielsson LW question

package
07-27-2006, 08:01 PM
Need a reel for a 10wt setup. Will be fishing in- and near-shore SoCal (yellowtail, bass, bonito, football tuners) and hauling it to Belize in the spring. Was wondering if the LW 8twelve would be man enough or if I should go with the HD. I like the idea of light-as-I-can-go, but want to be realistic--and not lose fish.

juro
07-27-2006, 09:49 PM
I have the 8twelve and feel it's more than enough for what you'll be doing. The drag setting can be adjusted using the allen wrench (provided). You can get the HD but it might be a little bit of overkill.

You can get a mile of backing on that reel with 50# gelspun too.

package
07-27-2006, 10:31 PM
Thanks, Juro. I like the aesthetics of the LW--just seems a little more elegant. But that's fly fishing, ain't it? Glad to know it'll handle my local guys and be enough for a shot at permit and wee tarpon when I get out there.

juro
07-27-2006, 10:41 PM
If you need more drag just loosen the knob and advance the internal screw a little, then put the knob back on. Easy and very effective, frankly my drag is so smooth I put it at one setting and leave it there. It's well short of full in fact the spool is so easy to palm I tend to use manual friction to complement the swiss watch smooth drag.

I had an adult seal (several hundred pounds) take my fly twice and the drag handled the situation just fine. I didn't handle it too well though :Eyecrazy:

CalSpey
07-29-2006, 04:56 PM
If you need more drag just loosen the knob and advance the internal screw a little, then put the knob back on. Easy and very effective, frankly my drag is so smooth I put it at one setting and leave it there. It's well short of full in fact the spool is so easy to palm I tend to use manual friction to complement the swiss watch smooth drag.

I had an adult seal (several hundred pounds) take my fly twice and the drag handled the situation just fine. I didn't handle it too well though :Eyecrazy:
Juro da man!!

Did you have it mounted :lildevl:

salmo
07-30-2006, 05:48 PM
Before you unscrew two screws, set the drag at minimum.
After adjustment, make sure you turn the knob ( Left retrieve reel) counter clockwise until you feel resistance. This is min. drag set-up. Then put the knob back.
Donít turn more then 100- 120 o form the factory set up. Otherwise you min. drag will be to tight.

One more thing, before you tight the screws on drag knob with the wrench, press firmly the knob against the frame. There is a thin back o-ring inside the drag knob, which blocks the water to get under the knob. By pressing ti you will ensure firm sealing.
Even if the water gets between the knob and the frame, there is another o-ring on the center screw ( not visible) which prevents the water from getting inside the drag mechanism.

Salmo