Bend Area and Rogue River [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bend Area and Rogue River

aspenripper
07-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Thanks to all who replied to my N Umpqua post. My trip is approaching and would appreciate any input as to Bend area fly fishing and Rogue River near Gold Beach as we are staying on coast. How is walk in access to Lower Rogue ? Should I forget fly fishing here and book a salmon charter ? I know this is a fly fishing forum but I need one pic with a west coast fish !!! Thanks in advance
Ed

ChrisC
07-27-2006, 11:38 PM
Thanks to all who replied to my N Umpqua post. My trip is approaching and would appreciate any input as to Bend area fly fishing and Rogue River near Gold Beach as we are staying on coast. How is walk in access to Lower Rogue ? Should I forget fly fishing here and book a salmon charter ? I know this is a fly fishing forum but I need one pic with a west coast fish !!! Thanks in advance
Ed

Given your limited time but objective of a fish pic, the charter is your best bet. Hiring a guide might also be worth considering. Success here can often be the luck of the draw.

Eric
07-28-2006, 09:00 AM
At least for the immediate future, ocean salmon fishing is closed at Brookings and Gold Beach (south of Humbug Mountain). Check current status at http://www.dfw.state.or.us/MRP/salmon/sofspt.html.

There's lots of excellent fly fishing for trout in the vicinity of Bend (mostly to the west along Century Drive, down to Fall River), but there are currently wildfires in the Sisters area. One thing you might consider is fishing for Atlantics at Hosmer Lake. This lake is located off Century Drive behind Elk Lake. Some sort of floating device is needed to fish there effectively, because of extensive reed beds, but there some spots that can be covered from shore.

Hang in there. Even if it sounds like I'm raining on your parade, I wish you all the best in your trip.

-- Eric