Bamboo [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bamboo

ventilo
07-26-2006, 08:32 PM
Hi Im new to this forum But Ive been trout fly fishing all my life. I live in Key West Fl
But the only time I fish is only on Fresh water streams Up north or out west. I am A Bamboo Man and thats the way Ill always be. I Have over 20 Bamboo Rods in my Collection But all for trout 6wt and under. My Question is are there any Saltwater Bamboo Guys out there that have a Rod preference for Light Flats fishing. I do Bamboo Restoration so the Vintage bamboo fits me fine

Thanks

Quentin
07-27-2006, 11:07 PM
Hi Ventilo, welcome to the site!

I've never flyfished with bamboo so I'm really not qualified to answer your question, and I mean no offense whatsoever, but I've gotta think that using ANY flyrod in the Keys would be better than not flyfishing in the Keys :D .

Guess it's one of those "grass is always greener" situations :chuckle: .

Anyway, if you don't get some answers here you might try posting your question on the "Bonefish, Tarpon . . . " board on this site:

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Q

OC
07-28-2006, 08:52 AM
Welcome to the site Ventilo.
I have watched old film clips of guys like the famous baseball and fly fisher Ted Williams fishing the Florida flats in the late 40's and early 50's with cane rods. It looked like they were using the same rods they used for Atlantic Salmon fishing. I believe there are forum sites that are for those who use cane but do not know the names of them, just google cane rod forums and you will find them. I would not hesitate to use my 7wt cane rods on the flats it would be a wonderful day of perfection casting. The cane rods in the 7wt and 8 wt size I have were made for Pacific Northwest Steelhead and are very similiar to the rods made back East for Atlantic Salmon.
Best of luck.