Adrian and Greg (Friday night)... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Adrian and Greg (Friday night)...

Dble Haul
07-26-2006, 09:43 AM
Continuing our discussion from the anchor trolley thread, I have to say that I'm not particularly enthused about any of the local tides on Friday evening. They certainly are not the best for the Connecticut River mouth, are decent for the Thames River area, and as far as Quonny goes I prefer to fish that area on an outgoing tide (low tide there is about 7:00 pm).

I think that the Pine Island area in Groton looks decent. If either of you have any experience fishing Quonny on the incoming (really won't be moving until about 8:00 pm), please say so. I'd like for us to fish where the best chance of intercepting some bass and blues would be.

07-26-2006, 10:35 AM

I have found good fishing at Quonny on an incoming tide but mostly on foot and I didn't fish there much last year so the pattern might well have changed. With a 7:00 pm low Friday = 01:00+ high Sat a.m. - might be worth fishing the outgoing through sunrise?

I haven't done an all nighter this season yet but it could be interesting coming off the new moon tide yesterday?

One other thought for early am Saturday in the breachways would be hardtail activity - if they are in the vicinity?

Dble Haul
07-26-2006, 11:58 AM
Adrian, I agree with you in regards to the outgoing tide through sunrise. My only problem would be that I cannot stay out all night, because I have a set of morning classes to teach at the academy on Saturday morning. I can fish until probably midnight the latest.

However, don't let that stop us from fishing there. We could try the incoming by foot as you've mentioned, as I'd like to try learning the area on that tide too. I've had a modicum of success on the incoming, but nothing like the success I've had on the outgoing.

I'm flexible and willing to learn. :smokin:

Dble Haul
07-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Let's hold up on discounting my availability through sunrise on Saturday....someone at the academy owes me a favor or two. :lildevl:

07-27-2006, 07:20 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm good for whatever you guys decide, including an all nighter and possibly intercepting some hardtails in the am. It's so close to the new moon and the water temps are right we could catch a worm hatch too. I'm fine with quonny, ninigret,watch hill etc.. or hitting the pine island area too.
Just let me know what your'e up for.
I probably could get there around 7pm or so depending on our destination.


07-27-2006, 08:33 AM
There have been some good clam worm hatches as of late so you guys just might hit one. Quonny is not all that good on the incoming compared to the outgoing so it may be a better bet to look elsewhere. Will take 2 hours for it to get moving so it might not even be fishing until 3am.

There has been good fishing lately in the ocean and any of the front side beaches would be a good bet until the tide turn. East Matunuck should be good and potters pond is right there which does fish on the incoming.

No word on hardtails yet from the breachways but somebody has to be first!


Dble Haul
07-27-2006, 08:39 AM
Okay, I'm cleared to fish all night. :smokin:

In my experience the breachways fish best on an incoming tide for the hardtails, and that is not what we would be fishing as the sun rises. But sunrise back in Quonny on the outgoing can be absolutely dynamite.

I've had good success at the west wall this time of year on an incoming at sunset and after dark. Floating lines and flatwings.......:)

Adrian, I'll call tonight so we can set up a meeting place. Then I'll follow up with Greg.

07-27-2006, 09:07 AM
O.K sounds good. I pm'd contact info for tonight.

I have had a couple of knuckle bruisers at East Matunuk after dark...:smokin:

No, I don't mean bar fights at Ocean Mist ! :lildevl:.

Potters could be interesting with the kayaks too.

A 7pm rendezvous sounds doable, subject to I95:roll: , but I'll get there.

Dble Haul
07-27-2006, 09:40 AM
A note on the tides....

The 7:00 pm low that I gave for Quonny has already taken into account the 1.5 to 2 hour delay from the beaches out front, so the water should be moving back out between 1:00 and 2:00 am.

Greg, please PM me your phone number so I can call you later tonight. I thought it was in my cell phone, but it isn't. Thanks.