Favorite high performance distance casting line? 4-6 wt [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Favorite high performance distance casting line? 4-6 wt

wadecalvin
07-24-2006, 12:53 AM
He yall, I've been reading up on various long distance casting lines. Among the most popular I've come across are SA Expert Distance. RIo Grand, Cortland 555 Rocket (Dyna tip), Sage performance and others that escapte me now. What are some of your favorites for trout in lakes out of a float tube. Downfalls to any?

zugbugz
07-24-2006, 08:13 PM
Rio Grand, hands down! I like the Cortland 555 Dyna Tip too. Both lines cast superbly and float really well, but in my opinion, the Rio is the winner. It casts almost automatically...OK, an exaggeration, but it casts better for me than any other line I've used, but lands as delicately as any I've seen. I own both of these lines in 5 wt with a fast action St Croix Legend Ultra rod. I wouldn't classify them as "distance" lines, but great casters nonetheless and I've had great success with them from my float tube, in the windiest of conditions that still allow fly fishing. I can't think of any downfalls to either of these lines.:D

Zugbugz - Arizona

Tin Pusher
08-02-2006, 05:35 PM
The long distance line used by the guys who can actually throw 110+' is the SA XXD.

Bob Pauli
08-03-2006, 04:56 PM
SA's XXD is a pure distance line.

My favorite line, Rio's Grand is not designed for distance, but to load fast rods with less than a full head out of the tip top. The fact that it casts well is a bonus.