Spey advise [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Spey advise

tight-lines
07-23-2006, 11:25 AM
I hope someone can help me out. I am building my first spey rod a 12'-6" 7/8
it's an IM-7 blank so they are calling it medium fast. What line should I purchase as a novice spey caster? The blank manufacterer suggested a Rio 7/8/9 windcutter line. I will be useing the rod primarily for med. sized rivers of about 3-8 foot of depth. Is it best to just get the floating line and the make a loop system to add different heads as I progress? Or would someone suggest a different line? Also I thought I better pick up a video to get me started can someone suggest one, the Rio 3 disc set looks good but is it too much for a beginner?

juro
07-23-2006, 07:57 PM
The Rio WC with tips is the way to go as the manufacturer suggests. It's a 65ft head with versatilty for floating or sinking applications and is good for skagit or touch and go techniques.

I've caught a lot of steelies on that line and it's a great way to get started with Spey casting.

What are you fishing for w/ this rod / line?

tight-lines
07-23-2006, 09:56 PM
Well, that is a good question my primary quary will great lakes steehead and may be a king. Although I wonder if this rod might be a little on the light side for kings. I also though it would be fun to use it for shad in the Delaware.

So you suggest Rio's windcutter multi tip rather than the floating?
I've also noticed Rio suggests moving up a line size for the novice caster I assume to load the rod quicker. Do you also think this is a good idea?
I don't have the blank yet to get an idea of the action although I don't think it's ultra fast.