Rhody/TS Beryl report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rhody/TS Beryl report

Dble Haul
07-21-2006, 11:28 AM
I arrived at a favorite salt pond in RI a few hours before sunset and the winds were about 10 to 15 from the northeast. I started to catch a few small bass here and there, and before I knew it the wind was up to 15 to 20, and then 20 to 25. I made adjustments with my casting to accomodate the wind, and continued to catch fish. I must admit that a few gear fishermen that I was within sight of must have thought that I was nuts to be flyfishing in such conditions. By ten o'clock the wind was up to 30 to 35, and I called it quits.

Final tally was several schoolies and a handful of 26 to 30 inch bass. No signs of shad or bluefish, and I caught the bass on large flies to stand out from all of the micro peanut bunker in the pond. I let the big flies sink below the bait and then mosied them along at a lazy pace. Not surprisingly, the worse the wind got the bigger the fish I caught.

I hope the storm doesn't mess up fishing on the Cape and northward this weekend for you folks up that way.

sean
07-21-2006, 11:34 AM
Mark I stepped outside to head down to South County last night but went back inside. Glad to hear you found fish regardless. I will be headed out tonight, conditions look like they should be a little better....

-sean

Dble Haul
07-21-2006, 02:18 PM
I think anything will be better than last night's winds. :wink:

Good luck to you. There is plenty of bait around right now, and plenty of terns diving to get it.

BigDave
07-25-2006, 10:51 AM
Sounds like a good time. 30"on the fly in tough conditions is sweet!