Fly Fishing Clubs [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fly Fishing Clubs

Eric
07-20-2006, 12:02 AM
Just wondering how many out there in Forum land belong to organized fly-fishing clubs: that is, groups of people who meet regularly to share experiences somehow related to fly-fishing.

If so, what do you find appealing about them? What in your mind makes a "good" club? I suppose the answers to these questions seem obvious, but I am curious. A group is trying to get an FFF affiliated club off the ground here on the central Oregon coast, and I think input on what makes a dynamic, inclusive, fun and instructive organization would be most appreciated.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Curious in Waldport

Dble Haul
07-20-2006, 08:41 AM
I belong to the Connecticut Flyfisherman's Association (www.ctflyfish.org). They meet on the second Wednesday of every month from September through May, with a smattering of classes in both flyfishing and flytying during the cold winter months. They also have some guest speakers at each of the meetings.

What makes them so good? Well, there are no real egos in the group. It's a bunch of people who are willing to help out anyone, regardless of skill level. There are organized trips to trout and striper destinations, and many of the members get together informally throughout the season to fish together. From the moment that I stepped into my first meeting a few years ago, I simply felt like I belonged.

striblue
07-20-2006, 08:45 AM
I am a member of the Boston Fly Casters... and old club which is basically an off-shoot of the NY Angler's Club... we meet once a month at one of the Boston eating clubs and have guest speakers each month.... a great orgainization...... It required a sponsor and a history of involvement in fly fishing... many are salmon fishermen and trout ...but we have a growing group of saltwater... outings are held though out the year....also, Pesident of the Chatham Angler's Club.... a shifty, incoragable group of ill repute....(wink) Nice guys individually, but as a group.. can be unpredicatable and extremely dangerious!

Adrian
07-20-2006, 09:45 AM
Chatham Angler's club (junior bar steward :D ) and of course Flyfishing Forum which feels like a club in just about every way except name.

jfbasser
07-20-2006, 10:31 AM
I am a member of the Stan Gibbs Memorial Cape Cod Canal club and the Buzzard's Bay Anglers Club...both have great food at their meetings:smokin:

BigDave
07-20-2006, 12:35 PM
Founding member of FishCamp (aka Club Linesider). Current status is senior Gin and Tonic Technician/Back Porch supervisor.

juro
07-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Here are a few subsidiaries of the forum...

The Ridiculous Bonefishers club - travels to the most remote islands in search of virgin bonefishing, tropical cuisine and fresh limes. Scouted on a trip with Eddie to Exuma but formally established in Acklins (only heaven is better) with the blessing of Rev. Felton Rolle of Delectable Bay as a crew of 8 hardcore explorers of the marl.

The 40+ club - yes that's inches, and yes that's good enough for a striped bass on a fly especially from shore. If it's trivial, then join!

The Hooknose Society - once a rare breed of cat seen flyfishing on the straits and pacific rips (I've been alone out there many times) a growing yet still on-coalesced faction of the flyfishing community whose efforts are thwarted by the inconsistent state of the fishery.

and of course... the Chatham Angler's Club, a northeast saltwater angling enclave characterized by high levels of camaraderie, zeal for the sport and a red fez.

This fall Dave17 and I will be founding the Silver King Underground, with memberships extended to webstain in St.Marten and a pro consult offer to Capt. Ben Iannotta in Summerland Key; whose mission it will be to find surprise tarpon populations in golf course ponds, city canals and other undocumented places; or to catch and release the ones that frequent hand-feeding locations near popular restaurant docks, etc.

baldmountain
07-20-2006, 04:28 PM
Nope. None for me. I've thought about joining United Fly Tyers or maybe New England Fly Tyers but haven't yet.

Eric
07-20-2006, 06:23 PM
I would agree that the Forum is a most satisfying club. I'm having second thoughts about being embroiled once again in raffles, dues, Roberts Rules of Order, and low-level politics. Methinks the Forum may be enough.

Juro mentions the Hooknose Society. Are there two or more Hooknose Societies? The only one I know of has only five members and flies pretty much below the radar. There's an annual meeting and some informal get togethers, but no real structure.

If there's another HS, I'd sure like to hear about it.

Cheers,

Clubby

juro
07-20-2006, 07:00 PM
Oops! No trademark infringement intended... I guess it suddenly rings a LOUD bell :o

I was just typing with abandon... how about the Strait's Shooters or the Coho Coalition :D

capt_gordon
07-21-2006, 08:13 AM
I would agree that the Forum is a most satisfying club. I'm having second thoughts about being embroiled once again in raffles, dues, Roberts Rules of Order, and low-level politics. Methinks the Forum may be enough.

That has been my experience also. Too many old men with too much ego and for what reason? Dumb.

FishHawk
07-21-2006, 03:07 PM
Member of the CAC who has yet to get an official photo taken. I'm in charge of secret recon missions. Used to belong to TU . Was the staff photographer for United Fly Tyers. That's it for me. 40+ club still trying to get in. It won't be long now. Just like the old Red Soxs wait until next year. FishHawk

jimS
07-21-2006, 09:53 PM
FishHawk, now is tomorrow and tomorrow is now. The 40 plus club is now. Think positive! As they say, I'd rather be lucky than good, but then again, being lucky is due to hard work. You've earned your due. See ya in a couple of weeks to watch you hooking that cow.

Incidentally, I've not got my phote yet at the CAC.

juro
07-21-2006, 11:50 PM
Don't feel bad... I'd bet I've fished no more than 2-3 hours in the last several weeks. Don't get me wrong I am thankful for the work, and it's second best to be spending time on the water with enthusiastic friends. I'd say three fish of that caliber have been hooked this year and zero landed, so maybe this weekend will be the charm. I am not guiding this weekend although I have short days on the water due to other obligations at least they put me on the cape (even the family get together).

Don't forget it's got to be on the fly and a photo is required. Yes, it does have to be a striped bass (not a gray seal or great white) :)

So far I think only Craig is official... maybe Ken McCrae is in there too... once the entries start coming in with a little more frequency I will put up a formal 'gallery'.

flydoc
07-22-2006, 08:11 PM
Damn...I thought this site constituted a club....at least that what I've been telling the IRS:hihi:
Flydoc

Demps
07-26-2006, 12:01 PM
I belong to my local fly club as well as a few forums such as this one. I've found the instructional part of the club to be the most satisfying for me. Before each monthly meeting members practice casting in the pond outside of the hotel. A couple of the members are FFF instructors who go around and spend some time with each person who would like some help. We also have a pretty extensive library of books, videos and a few DVD's for members to borrow free of charge. One of the best parts has been the clinic days held a few times a year often with "celebrity" instructors.

One problem our club seems to have is attracting members who aren't already AARP members. At 30 I am the second youngest active member and most are at least 10-20 years older than me.