Advice for a complete beginner please [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Advice for a complete beginner please

saturnalia
07-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Well, first of all, hi. Im a complete nebie to fly fishing. I picked up a cheap rod last week and have been trying it out in the river behind my house. I know there are brown trout and some rainbow but I've been having no success whatsoever.

Im wondering what I'm doing wrong. Maybe its the cheap flies I got with the rod or maybe its my casting technique.Think back to when you first started and throw a few hints and tips my way. I had a quick look through the forum and Ive read up a bit about casting techniques and such.

I suppose I can give you a little information to help you out. Its a small river and very low right now due to a heat wave we're having and the fish are small in size and number because the river was only restocked 2-3 years ago after a bad sewage spill.

Luckily enough I live next to a fly fishing lake/club but Id prefer to fish in the river since it runs through my garden. Im not sure what kind of river bed it is but it seems to be limestone.

Any way, thanks in advance for any advice.

jhicks
07-20-2006, 04:20 PM
The best advice I can give is this. Take a casting lesson or two from a professional. Second most important advice is practice practice practice. Only time on the water will make you better.