Mulberry Tree? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Mulberry Tree?

Quentin
07-17-2006, 05:58 PM
OK, so maybe I lied. I found this tree on the shore of my favorite local carp lake and it looks a lot like a red mulberry, although there were some discrepancies with the tree ID info that I looked up online. The leaves are close, but not exact, and they are not even close to 5" wide as stated on one site. There were no pictures showing the brown cylindrical objects that are on this tree. Also, these berries are not even starting to ripen, but red mulberries supposedly ripen in late spring. Any tree experts out there? Guess I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens when the berries ripen. The water looks shallow, but I've seen fish over 30" long right on the shore.

Q

Quentin
07-17-2006, 05:59 PM
the close-up:

sva01
07-18-2006, 07:51 AM
I haven't paid attention to what a Mulberry leaf looks like since I was a kid but, in my opinion, this definitely looks like a leaf from a Beech tree.

Quentin
07-29-2006, 05:04 PM
Well, I went out on the lake again and found another tree like this in a place where I could examine it more closely. This time I could immediately tell that it's some kind of birch tree. Did a quick check on a tree ID site and it looks like it might be a river birch. Funny that when tried to ID by the fruit it led me to mulberry, but when I searched on "birch" I found a drawing of a river birch that looks just like this tree, all on the same site :confused: .

Q

sva01
07-30-2006, 06:03 PM
Oh sure, that makes better sense. After doing some searching, I wasn't convinced that it was beech after all.
It all makes sense now though. Nice job with the ID.