Swift River report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Swift River report

teflon_jones
07-16-2006, 11:08 PM
I headed out to the Swift below Windsor dam on Saturday with a buddy of mine that was visiting from Maine. It was the first time I've ever really fished the Swift except for one brief outing this winter, and the first time for my buddy too. We got there at 8 am and started to fish our way upriver from the parking area on Route 9.

I started the day by landing a nice brookie on an ant pattern not too long after we got there, not a bad way to start the day. We saw a bunch more fish in the 8" range as we worked up towards the Y pool, but all I got were some looks and no takes. After fighting the current upriver for about an hour, we decided to get out and walk upriver a ways. We got to the tail end of the Y pool and saw several good sized trout ~12-14" long, and a couple larger, and started casting to them. I got some looks on a couple of patterns, but no takes. My buddy and I proceeded to work our way through most of the flies in our fly boxes without getting any takes, though I had a bunch of long follows on several different patterns. I didn't feel too bad because the entire day, I only saw one fish landed by somebody other than my buddy and me! :)

At noon we started to hike back to get some lunch. As we got near the car, we spotted the biggest trout we saw on the day hanging out by the bank. It was probably 17" and FAT. My buddy put his dry fly in from the bank and let it drift down and the fish nosed at it, but didnt' take it. I waded out and put a few casts with different flies on it but didn't have any luck. My buddy was spotting from the bank and said the fish gave a few good follows, but that's it. The fish stopped rising after about 10 casts or so and we went to get lunch.

After lunch, we decided to try below the Route 9 bridge. We scouted a couple of miles downriver on both sides and walked in to the river at a couple of parking spots. At the first place, the mosquitos seemed to enjoy feasting on the 40% Deet bug spray we were wearing so we decided to retreat and give them the victory after some brief scouting and a few casts. We finally settled on a spot not too far below the bridge. I landed two more small brookies on a dry fly, and my buddy nailed one, as we worked our way upriver.

We got back up to the bridge and turned around to go back downriver. By this time it was about 6 pm and we were tired as heck from walking in the river, mostly upstream, for most of the day. My buddy got one more brookie on a dry fly that was just beautiful. It was in full spawning colors and was unbelievably bright. We were about done by that time and fished a bit more with dry flies while wading downriver, but didn't have any more luck. The "daily" evening sulphur hatch that the old timers in the local shop told us about never materialized. In fact, we didn't see anything hatching all day!

So the total tally on the day was 3 brookies for me and 2 for my buddy. Considering that nobody I talked to had caught anything all day, and I only saw one other fish landed, I don't feel too bad. :)

Well, I'll be damned if those aren't the smartest trout I've ever seen! :) I can see why with all the fishing pressure they get!

Warren
07-17-2006, 05:06 AM
TJ,
Thank you good report. I often wondered how the Swift was for fishing. I go over that same bridge on Rt 9 two or three times a year while traveling to Pittsfield on business. I always think to myself...That looks like a good place to catch some trout

jhicks
07-17-2006, 07:47 AM
Great report. I too fish the swift several times a year. I have had my best luck on size 18 copper john's in red or copper. Try longer smaller leaders. I use 7x up to 10 feet or more.

teflon_jones
07-17-2006, 06:51 PM
jhicks,
I was using 12 ft 7x leaders, and even had a copper john dropper on the end with 7x tippet so it was probably a 14-15 ft leader total. They didn't even look at the copper john. The woolly buggers were the only flies that got much interest, those and a streamer pattern I call Big Yellow that I came up with myself.

BigDave
07-18-2006, 08:26 AM
There's about 4 times as much water as there should be in there. Check the USGS gage and try to plan your next trip when it's 100 cfs or below.