Fly Fishing Forum banner

Frog Hair Running Line

7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  rogerstg 
#1 ·
Interested in hearing any reports on the Frog Hair Running Line. I have their 58# and have found it a little difficult to keep it from slipping when final fwd cast is made. Seems to be pretty good about no tangles in the basket, especially in warm temps, and really flies when the cast is right, at least for me. Any comments from other users?

Pete

#2 ·
The difficulty with sliping out of your hand is due to the small diameter of .024. Their .030 line is closer to the regular running lines of .031 to .035.

The .024 that you have will llet a sinking head get deeper faster than the thicker line, but it's tougher to hold, as you've noticed.

#3 ·
I think it is crap. The stuff has way to much stretch in it to hook fish at distance. Seems to cast well in optimal conditions but I was very dissapointed with how much stretch that stuff has. Glad it was cheap and actually the red stuff makes for good spey leader butts...

-sean

#5 ·
Can't comment on hooking blue water species at distance, but for swinging flies for steelhead, I had good hook-up ratios using the 50lb stuff this past spring. It seems to shoot great and line managment issues and knots have not been an issue for me.
I really like this stuff so far but will probably experiment with other mono running lines in the future.

#6 ·
I'd be curious to hear what people think of it in comparison to other mono/flat mono running lines. I have been using Rio Slickshooter 50# and think it's great for deep running shooting head fishing in deep fast saltwater rips. Feels stretchy in the hands but no problem getting the hook set for this particular approach probably because the thin profile has so little resistance in the current compared to real running line.

#8 ·
Outside of the mono running line discussion, I agree completely with Sean and have not found a better beach running line than the one he pointed out, the Airflo tactical. During early trials, I could not stop telling Tim Rajeff how much that intermediate running line rocked on the beach.

I told him it lays in the basket like a faithful dog and sets the hook at two-handed cast distance on the first strip.

I hear it's available in different diams as well, gotta look into that for other applications. The core is braided tighter resulting in incredible performance and unnoticable levels of stretch.

The only superior aspect of mono that I've noticed is when the wind is down (minimizing basket problems), and I am not running after pods the slickshooter cuts the current much nicer in rips like Big Girl Bar and the South Monomoy Tip Rip.

#9 ·
sean said:
Just seems the extra 10' you might get from the mono running lines are not worth the hassle of dealing with them.
-sean
Funny you mention that. I agree completely. The reality for me is that, from shore I generally prefer a full line, or a mono core running line with a head. More often than not, the extra line speed needed to get that extra distance causes a loop or tangle in the running line anyway as it is pulled up from basket.

I use mono only for getting deeper, faster, as in from a boat over structure in a current. Then the tactic is a short cast followed by zig-zagging the rod tip to feed the required amount of line into the water. For that, mono runing line is the best choice.

What's that saying? - Horses for courses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.