Steelhead Fly of the week – Max Canyon [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Steelhead Fly of the week – Max Canyon

Charlie
07-15-2006, 11:12 AM
The Originator of this fly is Doug Stewart from Gresham Oregon. He made it in 1972 for fishing the Mack’s Canyon section of the Deschutes River. The name was intentionally misspelled in an attempt to keep people away from that very popular section of the river.

Hook: Up eye salmon hook.
Tail: Orange and white calf tail mixed.
Rib: Oval gold tinsel
Body: Rear 1/3: Orange wool, Front2/3: Black wool.
Hackle: Black.
Wing: Orange over white calf tail.
Head: Black

Eric
07-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Charlie:

I don't know if that's why Doug used the "Max Canyon" spelling. If so, it really isn't much of a ruse, since Mack's Canyon is a waterless side canyon (at least on my maps) as well as the name given to the campground and boat launch where Macks Canyon intersects the Deschutes canyon. The Macks Canyon boat launch is the only public boat launch on the lower twenty-five miles of the river--the area around the launch has been a popular steelheading spot since time out of mind.

The fly has been a wonderful producer over the years, and is especially effective once the October caddis begin hatching (sometime mid-September, usually, although the timing varies from year to year).

Great choice,

-- Eric

juro
07-17-2006, 10:40 AM
This fly and the signal light have been berry berry good to me. :D

thank and nicely tied - those laquer heads are perfect too

Jamey McLeod
07-17-2006, 07:43 PM
This fly and the signal light have been berry berry good to me. :D

thank and nicely tied - those laquer heads are perfect too

Same here, a bit thinner of a tie with Whitting "spey hackle" palmered over the front half of the body was hands down my best pattern last fall here in West MI.

Size 1.5