Something in the air... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Something in the air...

juro
07-14-2006, 03:05 PM
not sure quite what it is... but I get this funny feeling... up and down my spine...:lildevl:

http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/site/images/bird_id/eastern_bluebird_lang.jpg

Dble Haul
07-14-2006, 03:19 PM
Hmmmm, is there some sight fishing to be done this weekend? :tongue:

Paxton
07-14-2006, 10:14 PM
Weather wise, had a blue bird day today (Friday)......real tough fishing....on outgoing only saw 12 fish......incoming, one or 2 until the last 3 hrs of the incoming...then saw about 50 in an hr and a 1/2. Practiced my "Moses" technique...saw fish...they parted. Picked up 2 blind casting on 3 inch silversides...nothing else was even looked at...had a few follows and had one bluefish on for a bit and that was it. Only 3 on Sb....4 went to Monomoy...3 skunked and one had a good day. Fish with the exception of one, all were simply cruising over the flats.
As the fishing was not spectacular I paid attention to how long from the Stage Harbor low it takes the current to change direction on SB....result...2 hrs and 31 minutes....unbelievable! other than making a spectacular cast to a horseshoe crab...the day was not my proudest moment :)
Better good fortune to those who go this weekend.
Ron

Stevo
07-15-2006, 05:06 AM
Not just in the U.S either, as I had a good evening last week in Dorset, England.
Just like a striper - only no stripes! :biggrin:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/Gonzo1964/IMGP1355.jpg

A couple hours later on...

http://static.flickr.com/46/182804816_dd02a5bb7f.jpg

Adrian
07-15-2006, 06:02 AM
Nice Job Steve :smokin:

jimS
07-15-2006, 07:20 AM
Ron, thanks for the report. Any bait? There is a week of good tides next month that may prompt me to be there if I can get the "honey do" projects done.

Stevo, good to see you are getting into fish. Warmup for your Sept/Oct trip to the Cape?

Stevo
07-15-2006, 07:54 AM
Stevo, good to see you are getting into fish. Warmup for your Sept/Oct trip to the Cape?

You betcha Jim... Silas has been pitching a mid September date at me during a phone call this morning. He wants a chance at some last-ditch sight casting on the flats and I can see his point.

Paxton
07-15-2006, 08:55 AM
Jim......saw a few small balls (the diameter of a steering wheel) of bait fish on the flats. Hard to identify as they were no more than 1 to 1/1/2 inches in length). Definetly fish and not sandeels...guessing that they were juvie silversides as that was the only fly I used that was hit or followed. Used shrimp, micro sandeels...nada.
Ron

PopnesetBay
07-15-2006, 05:05 PM
What is the site that you got the tide tables from? I really like the way they are displayed. Any help would be great. Thanks

Pete

Dave17
07-17-2006, 09:31 AM
Bluebird down south as well. I got my first shot at inshore specs in South Carolina. Its awesome how aggressive these fish can be...

My goal here is to get some of you guys down here to give some of these southern locales a shot:smokin:

juro
07-17-2006, 10:14 AM
Stevo -

A fat magic marker and I'd feel right at home ;)

Dave -

NICE "trout" (weaks)! How is the population down there, like well enough for an occasional keeper?

Pete -

http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/

I've been using this since my Washington State coho days, it covers damn near everything and I don't use anything else anymore.

seuss
07-17-2006, 10:46 AM
mid afternoon Saturday turned out to be a little less than bluebird. the haze made finding/seeing anything a bit tough. spooked a few too close. in the end, only managed to pick up a couple over some grass beds.

started Sunday out in the fog on nauset with some success. then over to the flats for the flood. LOTs more fish visible this go around with bluebird conditions. and calm. only a few schools but many fish slow mulling around tufts of grass. no distinct moving pattern that i could detect. surprisingly aggressive and not particularly spooky = :biggrin:

while it was pretty easy to attract their attention, regardless of retrieve, closing the deal required a little experimention. the twitch and wait approach produced many extended heart pounding follows, but only 2 conversions. seemed if you gave them enough time to "think" about it, it wasn't going to happen. in the end, what worked best (once you had their attention) was literally pulling the fly (or crab, as the case may be) through the water and away from them as fast as possible. functionally a premature rod hookset. they just couldn't stand it. the bite being a smoother extension of the rapid reflex/instinct reponse to come check out what was for lunch in the first place.

all in all, an enjoyable sunday afternoon.

jimS
07-17-2006, 11:50 AM
Dave, nice trout. How about the redfish bite? Rumor has it that there are indeed places for tarpon in SC. I've got to be at a family get together after Labor Day on the NC/SC border. Anything happening there that you know about?

Capt. Gordon?

Dave17
07-17-2006, 03:16 PM
There are Reds and Tarpon in the area, although the bite was off due to the heat. I've been told that Redfishing in the fall can be awesome. I'd highly recommend giving it a shot. The inner-coastal is a beautiful fishery and I'll keep you guys posted as I explore more of it.

Dave