Tarpon reels [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Tarpon reels

Flyer
07-14-2006, 11:50 AM
Is anyone familiar with a Monarch M40/D fly reel?

salmo
07-14-2006, 12:47 PM
Never heard about this reel.
Please check out Danielsson ( this site supporter) HD 9-13 .
Danielsson was manufacturing this reel for Loop until the two companies have ended its relation in 2004. Now you can buy the same reel , probably the best tarpon reel on the market, directly from Danielsson for very low price( $420 ).
The reels is 100% salt proof and has super reliable, truly sealed drag system.

Good Luck
Salmo

juro
07-14-2006, 01:05 PM
It's a Saracione reel, direct drive 4" I think.

Member "ladyfish" was selling one here a while ago for about $600, a collectors item.

distant angler
07-14-2006, 06:27 PM
it is a saracione direct drive.
made in the 80's some of joe's first reels.
will stop a train.
very very collectable.

Flyer
07-14-2006, 06:52 PM
It's a Saracione reel, direct drive 4" I think.

Member "ladyfish" was selling one here a while ago for about $600, a collectors item.

Thanks very much

JR SPEY
07-15-2006, 07:52 AM
If you can find one in great condition for $600.00 I'd buy it in a minute. The going price for that reel in excellent to mint condition is more like $900-$1000.00. That would come down a few dollars if it is the second generation Lefty Kreh model. The size and capacity makes it an ideal tarpon reel. Unfortunately, they are scarce enough that few are fished these days due to their collector's value as has been pointed out already. By the way, they are fairly easy to convert from LH to RH and vice versa.

Flyer
07-15-2006, 08:06 AM
JR Spey - very helpfull. Sounds like a great reel for Tarpon - Now to find one! Thanks.

Flyer
07-15-2006, 08:10 AM
BTW - How can you tell a 2ng generation version?

hmaadd
07-15-2006, 10:32 AM
I'm also looking at a Danielsson reel for tarpon. I've got an abel #3 but I'm looking for something bigger la. What kind of drag do the Danielsson's have.

salmo
07-15-2006, 04:24 PM
Like all Danielsson reels the HD 9-13 or HD 11-13 have sealed, super smooth drag system and they are truly maintenance free . At max. the drag in HD reel will stop the train or brake 40-50 lb tippet. LW are more appropriate for steelhead or bonefish. I have been using reels manufactured by Danielsson like LW and HD for 5 years and the only reels ( not made anymore) that can challenge Danielsson HD or LW are Charloton reels.

http://www.danielsson-flyreels.se/us/start.php

drag technical info:

http://www.danielsson-flyreels.se/us/bromsteknik.php

JR SPEY
07-16-2006, 09:32 AM
hmaadd, I think the information you're looking for is the drag material. The Danielsson drag is a multi-disc using carbon fibre as the braking force. It is a terrific drag and carbon fibre is becoming more and more popular as a drag material.

Flyer, The second generation will say "Lefty Kreh Special" right on the reel, actually on the front of the spool. The original leather zippered case also has the same thing. The finish is slightly different, but you'd only be able to tell that if you had both silver ones in-hand. However, the Lefty models were also done in black. There were three sizes and all three were available in direct drive and anti-reverse.

Flyer
07-16-2006, 11:06 AM
JR Spey - Thanks. If you come accross any pls let me know Thanks again.