push pole question [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: push pole question

hmaadd
07-13-2006, 04:43 PM
I"m looking fro a fiberglass pushpole in the 300$ range. any suggestons

juro
07-13-2006, 11:38 PM
Stiffy makes a glass pole for just under $300. graphite is quite a bit more change.

Eddie
07-14-2006, 08:56 AM
As does moonligher.

juro
07-14-2006, 09:05 AM
Eddie -

What are your views on the pole tips... are they all the same or is one design better than the other?

Hmaad -

I need to talk to Capt.Ben Iannotta (sponsor bigfishonfly.com) this weekend, this is a good question for me to ask him as well in case spending an extra bit buys you a whole lot more joy.

Eddie
07-14-2006, 03:03 PM
I don't have enough experience to say any thing more than the paddle one is good for mud and the pointy one is good for hard bottoms. If either one wears out you can cut it off and plug in a new one with 5200.
I don't think that the metal spike is so usefull where I fish. Maybe in coral.
My moonligher suits my purposes fine.

hmaadd
07-15-2006, 08:02 AM
I don't know about the tips. They all seem to be the same in shape and size. I'm a newbie to the push pole. First flats boat.

How much does the Moonlighter weigh. I've narrowed it down to stiffy moonlighter and pole cat.

The pole cat only weighs 7 pounds and the stiffy 10. I realize graphite weighs less but 600+ bucks is alot of money. I had to sell my abel #1 for this purchase so I have only 300 to spend.

Please let me know what you find out Eddie from bigfishonfly.com

thanks

hmaadd
07-17-2006, 02:01 PM
I've decided to go with a pole cat. They weigh only 5pds where as the stiffy weighs 10. Hope to have it Friday. thanks for the advise.

Eddie
07-18-2006, 02:58 PM
let us know how you like it.

capt_gordon
07-21-2006, 04:26 PM
Pretty much all the pushpoles (including Moonlighter) are using Stiffy feet now. Their design for the feet is much better than anything else out there.
I use the Stiffy Hybrid and have poled with the Stiffy Graphite Extreme. I wish I had the 100% graphite one. The difference in weight doesn't seem like much when you look at the data (something like 4 lbs vs 2.5 lbs) but it makes a difference when you use it all the time. Good luck with your new pushpole. It's a great way to fish.

hmaadd
08-10-2006, 05:58 PM
Hey everyone.

I used the pole cat push pole this week for the first time. The pole is a 19' fiberglass model. I was poling in about 1-2 feet of water. The pole worked great although I wish I had got a longer pole 21 or 22 feet. This would make it a little easier on the back. It's not as easy as it looks on tv. But what is???