BONECLAVE 2006 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: BONECLAVE 2006

juro
07-13-2006, 12:49 PM
thanks for the reminder birthday boy :)

I called the reserve and the last date available is October 6-8th (fri-sun)

We have the group site #9 as usual but it was totally booked otherwise.

There will still be lots of good fishing to be had and the nights will be comfortable for sleeping.

October should get us in reach of big bass and blues with the tunoids returning, lots of bait and with this season being a little late who knows what we'll get.

Please reply here if you are going to attend.

More to come...

FishHawk
07-13-2006, 02:23 PM
Sounds good to me. Right now I'm in unless something unexpected comes up. FishHawk

Smcdermott
07-13-2006, 02:53 PM
I like the timing on this one. I'm in.

Sean

flydoc
07-13-2006, 04:57 PM
I'll have to get back to you- from the looks of my call schedule through the end of September, I would be due to be on call that weekend, but I might be able to talk one of my associates into taking that weekend if I take his call the previous weekend (which was the weekend I was thinking we were going to do this, based on last year's clave). I'll let ya know.
Flydoc

juro
07-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Here's a classic pic from a boneclave and the bait we had at Wacky...

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/froms101/clavepics/morebait.jpg

shadfreak
07-13-2006, 06:18 PM
I'll be there!
Larry

Warren
07-13-2006, 07:00 PM
Hmmmm, I think I will try to make it as well. Still too far off in the future.

grizz0707
07-13-2006, 08:27 PM
sorry i have to miss this one, on my way to the outer banks

juro
07-20-2006, 02:26 PM
It's official!

Please bring a donation to the forum for the reservation fee and to help site costs ($5-$10).

GregD
07-21-2006, 09:55 AM
Hi Guys,

Without a doubt one of my favorite outings and camping at it's best. I'm planning on being there, hopefully with my boys this year. Tough to tell with their sports schedules if they can make it now.

Greg.

flydoc
07-21-2006, 01:40 PM
Greg- from your last post I can assume that either: (a) your boat is fixed and running, or (b) you bought a much larger kayak....:devil: Hopefully I can make it too- have to sweet talk my partner into switching weekend calls.
Flydoc

GregD
07-21-2006, 04:37 PM
Hi Flydoc,

I indeed have the boat fixed as well as the trailer and if it's not sold by then I'll take it. Otherwise it will be kayaking for me or possibly using a friends boat instead. We will see how it all turns out,. Looking forward to see you there!

Greg.

juro
07-24-2006, 07:48 AM
I saw the first of the baby bunker on South Beach outside Chatham Inlet area this weekend, so I would wager they push way north this year making it likely that we'll have a good push south in October. There is always good migration activity in October but unless we have a string of fall storms we should be in good shape for not only good times but good fishing on these dates.

flydoc
07-28-2006, 07:58 PM
I'm in! Got one of my associates to cover for me that weekend, and I'm taking that Friday off to boot! Should be sweet! Better start tying some bonito/albi patterns.....:devil:
Flydoc

Warren
07-29-2006, 05:18 AM
I have a few questions about the Boneclave. I remember reading about it last year some but forget the details.

Where do you all camp? I assume you stay on Monomoy Reservation?

Is there a public launch nearby we could launch a boat & keep our truck parked for the duration?

When in Chatam last week we drove around some & checked out many of the town landings in Chatam. None seemed suitable for launching & extended parking. I would assume that some place nearby there is a launch site or two

Smcdermott
07-29-2006, 07:29 AM
Warren,

The boneclave is not a Chatham event. We camp on Washburn Island in Waquoit Bay and fish vineyard sound. There is one main ramp most use, the name escapes me, and I believe there is a second ramp located across the bay as well. Hopefully others will chime in on the ramp specifics.

Sean

Dave17
07-29-2006, 08:45 AM
I think I may be able to make the trek up. I'll keep you posted.

Dave

flydoc
07-29-2006, 12:05 PM
Warren- the main boat ramp is at White's Landing just off Rt 28 in Falmouth, along Childs River. The river leads down to Waquoit Bay, with Washburn Island constituting most of the western portion of the bay. There is another landing on the east shore of the bay in Mashpee- Juro and some others could give you details on that ramp if you need. The camping sites are about half way down the eastern (bay side) shoreline of the island. Last year I kayaked over with my gear- Juro or one of the other organizers usually posts a gear list a few weeks before the event, but suffice it to say you will need whatever you would take for a typical "roughing it" style camping trip for several days, along with your fishing gear and any liquid "essentials":wink: . There are a few portapotties on the island, but no running water (bring as many jugs as you can) or electricity. Plan accordingly. Hope to meet you there!
Flydoc

Bigcat
07-29-2006, 01:39 PM
The ramp in Mashpee on the Great River has gone residents only this year:frown: That's to bad for me it was the ramp I use for fishing the south side,
Maybe the town will ease the restrictions after Labor Day:confused:

Bigcat
07-29-2006, 01:52 PM
Just found this.

From the Masspee town website:

(valid May 27, 2006 – September 4, 2006)
Permits for the Mashpee Boat Ramps (Great River, Ockway Bay, Pirates Cove, and Santuit River) will go on sale Monday, May 25, 2006 at the Sticker Office, located in Town Hall. Town permits are not required at State Boat Ramps. Permits are available to Mashpee residents and Mashpee taxpayers only. The cost for a permit is $5.00.
The following is required at the time of purchase:
1. Copy of current vehicle registration for each vehicle a permit is requested. If vehicle is leased, a copy of the Lease Agreement is required.
§ If your vehicle is registered to a business, documentation linking you to the business is required.
§ If you are a non-resident, a Mashpee Real Estate Tax Bill, Deed or Purchase and Sales Agreement (for Mashpee visitors, a Lease or Rental Agreement for their Mashpee vacation location is required)
2. Cash, Check or money order made payable to the “Town of Mashpee” in the total amount due

Please note that permits will not be issued to property owners in arrears on their Mashpee taxes.

PopnesetBay
07-29-2006, 03:53 PM
Notice effective dates on "Bigcat" 's post. I don't think they will be enforcing "sticker" requirement after the effective dates expire but it might be worth checking out with Mashpee PD or Harbormaster, whoever is supposed to patrol and enforce. I am not sure they can enforce sticker requiremnet if you park on the road to the launch either but there they might get you for overnite parking.

Pete

Warren
07-31-2006, 04:48 AM
Thanks guys, I'll check it out some more

Lefty
07-31-2006, 10:00 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm still out here and watching this thread with interest. I'm sorry to not make this event as it was always a great time. This is my anniversary weekend and my wife takes it very serious. I've not performed well on this weekend in prior years. So it's basically either move into an apartment :tsk_tsk: or not go to the Boneclave.
I'm glad the tradition goes on, and am sorry to not be able to be a helper. But hey things move on, things change. There will be other days to fish and laugh with you jokers.

Peace,
Lefty

juro
07-31-2006, 10:21 AM
You DEFINITELY have your priorities straight :)

That was the only weekend open in 2006 so we took what we could get. Who knows maybe she'll think a tent and the light of a hissing gas lantern would be an appropriate romantic weekend, some fine cuisine - blackened bluefish and littlenecks? A shot or three of scotch? :lildevl:

YEAH RIGHT.

Hey BTW I thought the new Ruth's Chris downtown (School St just past Tremont) was fantastic for special occasion dining. The seared ahi appetizer was perfect and the steak melts on the palate. Valet parking at the door, in the old state building which has a special old Boston feel.

Maybe a concert down in the new Seaport area pavillion, we just saw Huey Lewis there last Wednesday night. Anthony's Pier 4 a classic, or Noname and Legal has a new noveau cuisine place (test kitchen) across the street.

jared
07-31-2006, 02:23 PM
Hi Guys,

(stuff deleted) This is my anniversary weekend and my wife takes it very serious. I've not performed well on this weekend in prior years. (stuff deleted)

That's a tad bit more information than I needed....

:chuckle:

tomd
08-02-2006, 04:33 AM
put me in for 2, I'll be bringing an old friend along as well Tom D

FredA
08-03-2006, 10:56 AM
If Lefty ain't going....

I mentioned the dates to my wife and she gave tacit approval, as if saying "if thats what you really want to do". The tone of voice suggested severe retribution would be extracted. After thinking about it I realized that's anniversary weekend. I doubt I'll make this one.

Lefty
08-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Very prudent Fred. :cool: I still think we should be able to bring them. Just think while we are out on the shoals fishing all day they can be in camp cooking up the big anniversary dinner for us and 21 guest who smell like fish!

Jared: that's why they call it the Boneclave.

Lefty

porkslice
08-10-2006, 09:35 AM
I will be there if there is still room!

porkslice

juro
08-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Glad to hear you will attend!

bonefishmon
08-11-2006, 03:08 PM
I'll be doing the JF Basser "think like a fish and act like a Great Blue Heron" thing in the channel if I can make it. Nerves of steel.......stay put.....and wait for the tuna to come to me. I tried running to catch up to the school that passed Great Blue himself. He hooked up......I got sore legs. Patience pays! With my schedule these days and bad luck with cars, I can't commit just yet. Hope to see the gang again this year.

Phil

jfbasser
08-11-2006, 04:46 PM
I should make it this year as well:smile: Pick a likely spot, gear at the ready, and wait for them to come to you:smokin:

At the Ditch it is known as The "Canal Pose":chuckle:

Never be caught out of position......

bonefishmon
08-16-2006, 04:44 PM
Good. When you flinch I'll be downcurrent watching and ready to cast. No more running this year. Let's get some radios for this one.

Phil

sradin
08-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Juro,
If there is a place, I would be interested in going. Please let me know. The actual travel sounds a bit complicated from the string replies. Am I misreading this?

juro
08-18-2006, 01:02 PM
Hi Sam -

This campsite is on an island but not far from shore, the site is inside a bay that is sheltered even in bad weather (we should know).

I don't think you will have a problem getting a ride over provided you are able to come and leave at a time that is convenient for boat owners.

The activities at camp are first rate - food is out of this world.

We usually take turns on boats but the inlet itself is dynamite from shore and on the east side South Cape Beach goes on for miles. The area can get thick with bonito and false albacore not to mention bass and blues. We've landed king mackeral, spanish macks as well.

If you are interested you need to (a) sign up here and (b) plan to be flexible to arrive and leave when you can get a ride to / from the island.

sradin
08-21-2006, 06:24 PM
I would very much like to go. I can easily accomodate myself to someone else's schedule.

On a sparate note, yesterday I fished the backside of Truro at Highhead. There was a line of baby bunker about two feet wide running literally for a mile and one-half. this morning at dawn there was an enormous bluefish blitz at race Point just past the self-contained vehicles. One guy told me it was the best fishing he has seen since 1964. It was to say the least very aggressive, with fish breaking off wire. We found a number of lugs in the surf.

Smcdermott
08-21-2006, 09:31 PM
I'm in for 2. A good friend will be joining me.

Sean

JimW
08-26-2006, 09:31 AM
In for 2 also. I was out there Monday - Thursday with the family and we had a blast. The crew limited my range as pounding out to the hooter wasn't considered fun by anyone but myself. Blues were around and my little one has been named scup queen. Such a cool place that even though tunoids were not in the cards for me it was a blast.

I do hope we have some more boats this year as I'm planning on fishing 2 - myself and Chuck some of the time, much better with 2 on longer runs in my wet riding boat.

jfbasser
08-26-2006, 10:15 AM
Nice Avatar, Jim :hihi:

tomd
08-27-2006, 09:10 PM
well, my sister called and confirmed she'll get the kids from school on friday, so I'll probably be there friday noonish:D

bonefishmon
09-09-2006, 06:46 AM
I will attempt a day trip with no camping. I have a full slate at Foxwoods. I'm covering for my boss that weekend while he is on vacation. Hope to see you Saturday. I will paddle out in the yak. Where should I park and paddle?

Phil

fliboy
09-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Is there still room? Did I miss the sign-up site?

Thanks,

Dave

juro
09-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Plenty of room! I look forward to seeing everyone there.

tomd
09-17-2006, 11:16 AM
I'll be coming solo, my old buddy had to pass:frown:

bonefishmon
09-27-2006, 05:45 PM
Yikes, we're getting close! How many are camping at this point?

Phil

Smcdermott
09-28-2006, 06:17 PM
I would consider myself tentative at this point. From all the reports I have gotten it sounds like things are very slow out there especially from a hardtail standpoint. While it sounds like things are really starting to fill in around my neck of the woods. I will see what things look like after this weekend and make the call.

Sean

juro
09-28-2006, 08:33 PM
The hardtail advance to the north is iffy with the weather turning but the flow of bass and blues from the north should be well-timed. I would imagine the key will be water temps in Vineyard Sound, and bait.

Fishing is just a part of the Boneclave experience for me, I'm sure there will be a lot going on in early October at Wacky.

juro
09-28-2006, 08:59 PM
Hard to say what will happen even though it's right around the corner...

http://marine.rutgers.edu/mrs/show/?file=../regions/bigbight/sst/noaa/2006/img/060928.271.1524.n17.jpg

Wind with a south / southwest component should hold the temps within Vineyard Sound in the range of the hardtails preference zones especially if there is a lot of bait to keep their furnaces burning. Reports of hardtails in the west end Canal right now, and I suspect Nantucket Sound still has them with all the bait around.

Who knows it could be good timing, or not. I think it will be a fine weekend of camping and fishing no matter what.

Smcdermott
09-28-2006, 09:37 PM
Juro,

I don't disagree with your theory here but with 6 weeks +/- left in the season I am going to put my chips down where I have the best odds. Not sure that isn't Vineyard Sound yet but its not looking as promising as the calendar would suggest. If you read the web there are fish everywhere but the anglers I have talked to with recent outings say otherwise.

Sean

FishHawk
09-29-2006, 07:42 AM
I won't be doing the Bone Clave this year. Other commitments.
FishHawk

fliboy
10-01-2006, 08:49 AM
I've been out in left field for the last month - as it's been nutz at work. Is there a sign up for the Boneclave? I am working hard to fit this in. I've been out fishing twice this season, and I've indicated to the wife that I really have to work this one in to the schedule - and she told me to go for.

Thanks,

Dave

Smcdermott
10-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Hopefully I am wrong and the fishing will be on fire for you guys but things around my neck of the woods heated up this past weekend and I am hoping it will continue this coming weekend.

Sean

jfbasser
10-02-2006, 01:29 PM
I am going to try to stop by one of the weekend days...probably Sunday..I will be getting my own transport to and from the island.

pacman
10-03-2006, 09:44 AM
Gentlemen,

Sat.10/7 and/or Sun.10/8 I will be out and about in a Green Jones Brothers Cape Fisherman 1910LT. My boat is moored in Great Pond, Falmouth. I am looking for someone to jump on board. If anyone is interested Let me know and I will come and pick you up.

And I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the hospitality that was extended to me during my time at the Clave this past spring! particularly the crew that bunked at John's place.

shadfreak
10-04-2006, 08:07 AM
Hi
I sent you an email about fishing on Sat.
Larry

shadfreak
10-04-2006, 08:10 AM
I can not stay and camp this year. I am really bummed but the high school soccer team that I coach in in the middle of a league title run and I need to be here this weekend. I am hoping to make it Sat and fish with Pacman. I'll be thinking good fishing thoughts for you all weekend.
Larry

JimW
10-04-2006, 08:11 AM
Have you guys looked at the marine forecast lately?

Seems the area would offer some protection from the NE but it don't look good for boating.

It would be nice to see an updated roster since most of the initial posts are a bit old.

juro
10-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Jim - good call

I am busier than the proverbial billygoat with two...

but will reincarnate the signup sheet tonight

GregD
10-04-2006, 12:36 PM
Hi Jim,

I'm planning to be there friday and Saturday with both boys. If the wind isn't too much out of the east we should be ok, with the leeward side anyway. I can't wait to get out again. Hopefully will find some fish despite the high winds and wave predictions.

I don't expect to be heading out to Nantucket though this year with that forecast.

Greg.

JimW
10-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Based on the initial interest - not huge - I'd just handle it in a thread.

The wind forecast is for Nasty NE - we're talking 30mph at 5am on Friday and not getting better, seas 4-7. Based on the current forecast I don't see myself getting out there:frown: , but maybe that will change.

juro
10-04-2006, 01:04 PM
My prediction is that the migration will be in high gear, lots of bass and blues. If we are lucky the recent south winds and warm up will hold the hardtails in Succonesset so that anglers from wacky and south cape beach can hit them from shore in the lee of the wind.

No rain in the forecast at this point, camping should be fine as we have already experienced ridiculous winds at camp in past years and it was mild.

Roaming the Vineyard will be reserved for the big of hull unless things change however I would imagine things will be damn good in the corner on either side and will bet there will be footballs around in the tide rip.

sradin
10-04-2006, 09:19 PM
:frown: Juro, Sorry to say I won't be able to come. Last minute family demands. All my best. Tight lines!:smokin:

tomd
10-04-2006, 10:21 PM
I'm coming down Friday, what time are you guys planning on getting there? Tom D

juro
10-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Tom -

Best thing to do is use the sign up it collates everyone into nice neat packages ;)

BTW this program was one of JimW's contributions to the forum. All I had to do was tweak it to 2006.

thanks again Jim!

GregD
10-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Hi Tom,

I hoping to get down around 10 or so. I have some work to do on the lower unit before heading out, and a few hours on the road. My oldest son is sick and might do in my trip altogether the way things are going :frown:

Will see what we can do though, he might have to come and recoup on the island...

Greg.

flydoc
10-05-2006, 01:58 PM
I feel horrible about it (given that I prompted Juro to schedule this thing, and have had it blocked off on my schedule for some time), but I'm going to have to bail on the Boneclave. My sciatica has flared up severely (get an attack maybe once a year), and is responding slowly to meds and exercises. :( My associate/physician definitely does not think kayaking/camping would leave me in good shape for next week, and I am inclined to agree based on how my back felt after last year's trip (not horrendous, but not that great either). Hope all who go get into lots of big fish and maybe a few hardtails. See you all next season.
Flydoc

JimW
10-05-2006, 02:42 PM
Flydoc, sorry to hear about your back. Having been in the bad back club I understand what you're talking about and it's wise to take things easy.

I really look forward to this trip every year, unfortunately I'm sicker than a dog. I was planning on getting out there 1st thing tomorrow morning, now I'll be lucky to day trip it one day this weekend.

Juro, I know you had to pay in advance for the site, I signed up and even though I cannot attend I feel obligated to help defray the expenses, it shouldn't fall on you or the few campers that show.
Is the paypal address sponsorships@flyfishingforum.com?

Good luck guys.

Tom, If it's not too much trouble maybe PM me your cell and I'll call ahead if I think I can make it for a daytrip.

flydoc
10-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Juro- I also would be happy to pitch in given my late cancellation- just let me know how much (after all is said and done with those who do make it), and where to send it.
Flydoc

tomd
10-05-2006, 07:14 PM
I plan on getting down about noon or so, if anyone need a ride let me know, if later, call my cell and I can ferry you?

any particular food you need me to bring over? I'll have a good sized cooler(5 day) with plenty of ice.

oh yeah, how do I get over to the good ramp, I think I'll go to that one, seeing as how the trip is so much shorter over to the campsite.

juro
10-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Hey Tom -

Looks like we're out on the limb on this one. I have some ideas, will call tomorrow.

Now I am really bent on slamming some serious fish, I want people to feel like they missed an opportunity. ;) ;)

Hey Mike can I borrow a cow for a photo shoot :lildevl: