Which do you prefer Albies or SBFT? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Which do you prefer Albies or SBFT?

FishHawk
07-13-2006, 04:26 AM
What do you prefer catching Albies or SBFT? I have caught an Albie but not a SBFT and have seen the First Light video. Seems as if the SBFT do more sounding than running and of course are bigger. But , the Albie seem to give you a better run which would be more exciting. Any thoughts? FishHawk

jfbasser
07-13-2006, 06:35 AM
Whichever one prefers to run back at the boat on a given day....so I can test out the new Danielson's 8 twelve's ability to take up slack fast:smokin:

Adrian
07-13-2006, 07:18 AM
From experience (Albies, Yellowfin, Skipjack) over deep water they all end up deep under the boat after the initial blistering run.

I like Albies when they come within reach of shore because its a shallower water fight and they go like bonefish on steroids. They can be fought fair and fast provided you have a good drag on the reel and apply enough pressure to just avoid breaking the tippet. I've not had a Bluefin Tuna yet but the fight of a Tuna seems to be dictated more by environment than by genetics.

I'd be interested in other folks observations. Ahi or Bluefin, pound for pound; are they the same or does one tend to outgun the other?

Jim Miller
07-13-2006, 07:44 AM
I've been fortunate enough to have had BF, albies, and Bonito caught in the exact same location.
For me BF have the best fight in shallow water..... rooster tailing the line on the first runs. Dogged at boatside.
The Bonito is easily the most beautiful fish.... hence the name.
It's all good my friends! :D

rogerstg
07-13-2006, 07:45 AM
What do you prefer catching Albies or SBFT? I

They fight about the same, so for me its SBFT all the way since they tend to be bigger.

BigDave
07-13-2006, 07:57 AM
SBFT all the way. Even the big Harkers albies aren't in the same league when it's time for the vertical slug-fest. They will both take a ton of backing though.

Smcdermott
07-13-2006, 08:00 AM
To me the bluefin are more graceful in the water so they get my vote for the pure aesthetics. They seem to come in and out of the water like an olympic diver trying to score some points with the judges. Of course once you hook them all bets are off and its time to put the wood to 'em.

Sean

Slinger
07-13-2006, 08:57 AM
I`ll vote for the Albies strictly because of thier availability inshore, allthough I have got my angeling category permit. When I was a shore fisher, I allways said, If I just had a little boat I could get over there. So I got a little boat. Then I looked out and said If I had a bigger boat I could get out there. So I got a bigger boat. Now while I race around all over southern NE I look farther out and think If I only had a 24` I could go past that island and get the really big boys.Where does it end? Last year Basser and I spent a full day over Albies, had numerous shots and caught a bunch of fish and only used 2 gallons of gas.
Slinger

BigDave
07-13-2006, 09:05 AM
Steve hopefully you won't have to go out much farther than the west gap in a couple of weeks. Keep your fingers crossed guys!

We actually had a shot at some of those bigger fish in CCB a couple of weeks ago. They were porpoising around the boat and were in the 50+Lb class. When I saw the size of them I started wondering if casting into them was such a good idea :roll:

jfbasser
07-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Last year Basser and I spent a full day over Albies, had numerous shots and caught a bunch of fish and only used 2 gallons of gas.
Slinger

And a very god sub shop walking distance from the ramp:chuckle: I always prefer to fish close to good food... it is a lifetime quest:hihi:

MarkZ
07-20-2006, 11:39 AM
10lb. Skipjack = 25lb. BFT (minus a few death circles) = 3 10lb. FA's:D

Bigcat
07-20-2006, 02:19 PM
SBFT hands down,14wt rod and a Pate Marlin are my tools of choice :smokin:

jfbasser
07-20-2006, 06:45 PM

Definitely on my short list this year!

Adrian
07-21-2006, 07:32 AM

That might explain why the 15lber (Skipjack) I got from a kayak in Baja decimated my 12wt :smokin:

MarkZ
07-21-2006, 04:39 PM
Skippies, oft overlooked and not always available are the REAL deal. # for # the fastest and toughest I've tangled w/. They are also the most finicky inshore pelagic.:cool:

teflon_jones
07-21-2006, 10:36 PM
If I ever catch one I'll let you know... ;)

artb
07-22-2006, 07:01 AM
How does one compare catching an 8 lb fish with a 20 to 30 pound fish? Also catching an albie from shore is totally different from catching an albie from a boat where you can maneuver, from shore you are pretty constricted as to how you can move, slippery rocks, and shoulder to shoulder fishermen, some of which do not care to move out of the way. From a boat I have caught bluefin, bonita, and false albacore. Bonita in my opinion do not fight as good as the other two. I am talking strictly of fishing with a flyrod. The yellow fin is a very good fighter, and I would rate it as the tops in fight. I still haven't landed one but several times have fought one in the 30 to 50 lb class. bluefins are next in the same pound class, followed by false albacore, but only they are less than half the weight of syft and sbft, so how can you compare the fight of fish with a great difference in weight. For availability, and pound for pound give me a false albacore. Guys for the best in southern RI one month till the real good RI fishing starts.:D

MarkZ
07-22-2006, 12:12 PM
"How does one compare catching an 8 lb fish with a 20 to 30 pound fish?"

First you need to catch enough of them...:devil:

Then it's quite easy actually, you fight the fish on similar gear and observe the depth of the backing (or lack thereof), speed of which it was removed, amount of times you were taken there, length of battle and above all use your rapier senses to feeeel the difference. :D :D

Personally I've never caught a YFT on the fly, but they are not inshore pelagics anyway. I have been in thick intermingled schools of 20-30# BFT's and 6-12# skippies and can tell you that as stated minus 5-10 death circles the lil skips fought just as hard...I actually did not know what was on till fish was near boat. FA compared to SBFT is conjecture on my part, but prob pretty accurate. Bonito, although my fav small tunoid to pursue does indeed bring up the rear in power ranking.