Summerines [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Summerines

Quentin
07-10-2006, 10:08 PM
Seems like the carp are finally into their summer patterns in my favorite carp lake. The last couple of times I was out I didn't see many feeding in the shallows but this time they were everywhere. Too many in some places -- I'd spook five fish while casting at one :roll: . Still tough to get a take, despite numerous excellent opportunities and several presentations that weren't totally botched. Plenty of good adrenaline rushes anyway, especially because some of the fish were in the 20+ pound range and they would work their way right to the boat before spooking :whoa: . They didn't seem to want the brown woolly bugger, the crayfish or the orange/purple berry, but I finally hooked up and landed a 5 lber on an olive/brown woolly bugger with small dumbell eyes. I lost that fly a little later on a much larger fish that broke my knot while I was trying to keep it from going under a floating dock.

Q

Adrian
07-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Did you experience the Mulberry Hatch this year? Apparently CT was once a major silk producing area and there are a lot of mulberry trees. I haven't found one yet though :confused: Nothing that looks 'berry laden" on the Housy. Maybe the Naugatuck or the CT?

Quentin
07-11-2006, 08:15 PM
No mulberry hatch here. Not that I'm aware of anyway. I know I've seen mulberry trees in my area but I don't know of any on the lakes or river where I fish for carp.

Q

Dble Haul
07-12-2006, 10:11 AM
I have not seen anything resembling a mulberry hatch on the Connecticut River. It's a big river though, so there might be something somewhere along its length.