Lack of Cows, commercial pressure [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Lack of Cows, commercial pressure

MainEYak1
07-10-2006, 07:36 PM
From my perspective there definitely seems to be a lack of big cow bass around. Over the past couple of days I have fished Piscataqua to Biddeford, and seen only several fish in mid 40" size but have not seen pods of large bass normally seen by this point in the year. Temps cooled off over the past seven days and this seemed to slow overall take except for outflows and warmer currents. Some unconfirmed reports of schools of large squid in the Piscataqua. Shoals were very slow off the rocks with the exception of tight schools of mackeral that were being harrassed by bass. My fishing partner agreed that the mackeral were not feeding but launching out of the water from pressure from below, no birds working over them and we concluded no bluefish were present. Try as we may we could not get a take on several mackeral presentations. According to Jim Eldridge of Eldridge Fly Shop in S Maine, he reported on his site that on 7/6 a reliable source said that the majority of large bass are still way offshore feeding on sand eels and that commercial striper fisherman out of Massachusetts are out there harvesting them illegally. He told Jim one fisherman said that he had been out there harpooning stripers to sharpen his skills for tuna season and that there has been no law enforcement present to bother them. I can only hope this report is not true. :(

juro
07-11-2006, 04:18 PM
MaineYak1 -

Things were a little late down here, I hope for your sake it's just a delay of big fish and not a reduction of population.

Let's follow this topic thru July and see how it progresses, thanks for keeping us informed.

MainEYak1
07-13-2006, 04:02 PM
Will do Juro. Hopefully things will pick up here.