Puerto Rico Exploratory - Virgin Mission [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Puerto Rico Exploratory - Virgin Mission

juro
07-10-2006, 10:44 AM
I am thinking taking two days off in September, Friday and Monday to stretch it into a four-day exploratory fling.

15-18th for instance, early flight out and late flight back. Currently round trip $258 Non-stop BOS to San Juan.

Ideally we would have four explorers, rent a nice vehicle and do hit and runs through the accessible lagoon systems with one day on a boat (split fee) looking for the famous pilchard blitzes with a local guide.

A few thoughts...

I am interested in learning more than catching, but of course there has to be some catching.

It's more of an investment into knowledge of the area so that more efficient trips can be made at very low cost more frequently with increasing results just like Acklins but for a quick tarpon fix.

At $258 r/t nonstop, shared car and board once we are dialed in a long weekend could be a tarpon fix of very high potency.

After jumping 11 in less than two hours in a lagoon recently I am anxious to get a fishery like this dialed in for easy, inexpensive and productive fishing.

I am looking for leading edge types willing to sacrifice exploratory time to get the big picture in their heads. I want to explore the San Juan lagoon systems (known to be productive) also the west and southwest shoreline and possibly Culebra Island if time permits. Culebra also has big bones and a guy from NJ who rents boats very reasonably.

Anyone interested reply and let's get the wheels rolling...
http://www.puertoricopix.com/islands/raton_fishCoRt.jpg

Dave17
07-10-2006, 11:02 AM
I'm in. September looks good to me:smokin:

juro
07-10-2006, 12:09 PM
Dave -

We find a pod like that and we are going to have to syncro-cast to avoid spookage without two on the line... on three ready?

One...... two.....

n1gdo
07-10-2006, 01:30 PM
I usually like to do MVY in September so if you hold off this trip till October I am in...

Would enjoy fishing with you and Dave17 and any other Acklins vets again !

juro
07-10-2006, 02:51 PM
They say the pilchard blitzes in PR are like bluefish blitzes but the fish are 100#... :Eyecrazy:

juro
07-14-2006, 09:02 AM
Dave,

the southwest corner and westside has several nice lagoons and sheltered shoreline structures (the above pic was from this area) and I feel it would be a must-see area. It's far enough away from San Juan and has a cottagey sound. I am sure we could roam with flyrod in hand looking for cruising tarpon and I am confident we will find them there.

The main lagoon systems near SJ city are expansive and although some look acessible it might take some flotation to really exploit that potential. I might pack inflatable kayak. If no one else jumps in we're all set with what I already have.

We can split a ride with a tarpon guide as well, Sept is their hot season for tarpon right around the airport lagoons.

Further east Culebra seems to call... cheap boat rentals from a New Jersey native business man and that big lake with the camping on the gorgeous beach discussed earlier might even host a slam... there has to be permit there, we know there are bones and tarpon.

The nice thing about this is it's so close and domestic so it's as easy as heading to Florida for the weekend and the conveniences of rental cars, etc are all there. It also does not take me out of the Acklins trip because it doesn't use up vacation or burn up too many brownie points with my S/O.

Dave17
07-14-2006, 09:17 AM
Let me know when your ready to book a flight and I'll sync up and book one as well. I have a million Hertz points so consider the car taken care of......

juro
07-14-2006, 09:40 AM
Cool I will pick up the heavy baggage fee for the inflatbles :smokin:

n1gdo
07-14-2006, 11:16 AM
Dave.. Juro

send me an email and I will dig out all my archived info on Puerto Rico and send it to you... there should be some new stuff in there you havent seen..

again... if its a long weekend and I can work around a Chappy trip I am in..

Trucha
08-03-2006, 03:56 PM
Hello Gents:

I am really interested in this thread. My wife may be sent to Puerto Rico for a conference through work, and we may get the mother-in-law to come out and watch the kids. So,...

I have done some research through the internet so my interest is peaked about the possibilites. We will be going in March; not a prime time for Bones but a very good time for Tarpon (aye Sábalo de mis sueños). My wife's hotel is going to be in viejo San Juan with the conference close by and I have a cousin that lives in S. J., too. I want to try local for tarpon but the flats off Culebra look very interesting. Anyway, wish you guys luck and what for your report.

Fish hard.

juro
08-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Welcome, yes let's definitely share our findings.

As I do more research March is a good time since it's in the dry season.

Dave although the famous pilchard blitzes are in September so is hurricane season. With prices so low and lots of amenities we can do a spur of the moment trip any time with the long range forecast in view during the storm season (now thru November) but there may be some merit in postponing until the drier months from December thru April. Anytime after that and we're into striper season again.

Another option for me is a 3-4 day fling in August just to prime the pump. It's easy enough to get back there with so many cheap flights and good flight schedules, domestic too.

Dave17
08-04-2006, 03:38 AM
I have to do it this fall if it's going to happen. After the turn of the year I'll have just enough vacation for Acklins and my honeymoon. The little lady is pretty understanding but if I don't have enough days to cover the wedding and honeymoon she'll kill me. After the wedding Acklins is my biggest priority. In '06 I have days to burn so I'm in if we can do it this fall:smokin:

juro
08-04-2006, 06:29 AM
The little lady is pretty understanding but if I don't have enough days to cover the wedding and honeymoon she'll kill me.

:hihi:

Well I guess I can't blame her for that ;)

OK bro, this fall it is. It's cheap and easy so 2-3 days off (friday and monday +/- tuesday) should give us a good initial cross-section from that very spot in the picture (got it completely recon'ed by aerial already) to the city lagoons.

If 3 days and Culebra Island would be in the cards as well, or else we could focus the first trip on Culebra and the city lagoons but I doubt we could do justice to the west end as well.

So I suspect leaving Thurs PM returning Tuesday PM (tues-thurs is cheapest and most available) would allow us to spray a few casts on everything from the west end to Culebra quickly and do the San Juan lagoons Tues before a PM flight home.

juro
08-04-2006, 06:31 AM
The little lady is pretty understanding but if I don't have enough days to cover the wedding and honeymoon she'll kill me.

:hihi:

Well I guess I can't blame her for that ;)

OK bro, this fall it is. It's cheap and easy so 2 days off (friday and monday) should give us a good initial cross-section from that very spot in the picture (got it completely recon'ed by aerial already) to the city lagoons.

If 3 day Culebra Island would be in the cards as well, or else if we do a short trip (fri-mon for instance) we could focus the first trip on Culebra and the city lagoons but I doubt we could do justice to the west end as well unless we fly back Tues PM.

So I suspect leaving Thurs PM returning Tuesday PM (tues-thurs is cheapest and most available) would allow us to spray a few casts on everything from the west end to Culebra quickly and do the San Juan lagoons Tues before a PM flight home.

sean
08-14-2006, 03:23 PM
I am just going to stay here in Rhody:lildevl:

http://www.projo.com/fishing/content/projo_20060811_11fish.1ffdb7c.html

-sean

juro
08-14-2006, 04:07 PM
That's NUTZ!!!!

Strip... strip... KABLAM!!! That'll run you off the end of the west wall :Eyecrazy:

Adrian
08-14-2006, 04:33 PM
What's next I wonder - how about tailing bones at Misquamicut? :lildevl:

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled over the next week or two - lots of mullet about and tarpon love 'em :smokin:

josko
08-15-2006, 08:02 AM
Dave.. Juro

send me an email and I will dig out all my archived info on Puerto Rico and send it to you... there should be some new stuff in there you havent seen..

again... if its a long weekend and I can work around a Chappy trip I am in..

Frank,
I was in Addis '71 through '76. Interesting times over there. We ought to catch up one of these days.

As to the tarpon folks, a thing to keep in mind: inside flats here on Andros are running in high 80's now. What's the upper temperature tolerance limit for tarpon? I realize there are some landlocked ones, but wouldn't ocean-assecc fish migrate to cooler quarters?

juro
08-15-2006, 08:28 AM
Josko -

PR is known for an explosive tarpon season in Spetember, which unfortunately coincides with it's stormy season. So albeit there is some risk there, I've heard first-hand from New Englanders who went there that the shoals of pilchards drive the tarpon into blitz feeding in the various inlets and structures.

The island has proximity to deep water unlike the bight you're on and there is ocean / trade wind surf on the east facing shores with prevailing winds however lots of inlets line the shore with known tarpon hangouts on the lee shore not to mention lots of habitat. I'd have to check proximity to bluewater but I believe (I hope) things are tolerable for them.

Then there is Culebra, which is an island off the northeastern shore which is known also for large bones albeit not in large numbers compared to Andros. However it's boats a healthy tarpon population and other prime species with inexpensive power boat rentals at a resort run by a New Jersey native.

And on top of that many lagoons that time has choked off which I would wager are full of landlocked tarpon. I compare that system where I jumped 11 tarpon in 2 hours in the West Indies to PR and it's mind-boggling what the possibilities are there.

I think the opportunities are largely undiscovered for DIY tarpon in PR.

juro
08-20-2006, 03:58 PM
So it looks like the tally is Dave17 and I for 2006. I have a feeling when you see the pics and videos you might be in for a follow-up.

Well my Acklins adventurer brotha let's get the ball rolling there are hungry poons who have never seen a fly just waiting for us down there, not to mention large bones albeit smaller numbers and permit.

Let the games begin!

Dave17
08-21-2006, 12:34 AM
Bring it on:smokin:

n1gdo
08-21-2006, 07:01 AM
Juro...I dropped a note to you and Dave17 a while back that I have some old saved info on PR Tarpon etc.... I can email it to you if you like....last call if you want it....

Also ... keep me in the loop on your trip..... if it does not coincide with an MVY trip I am trying to plan then I can go....

Either that or I can convince Josko to guide me on Andros during one of his trips..!!! mmmm Bonefish and Bull Sharks !!!

seeya

juro
08-21-2006, 08:01 AM
Frank! Aer you kidding? Love that info... my PM box was probably full.

When is your date conflict? We have a little flexibility.

juro
08-21-2006, 08:30 AM
JFBasser -

Without pasting links, who did you decide to hook up with for tarpon on your cruise itinerary?

I've noticed PR tarpon guiding operations in three distinct areas of the island, well really 4 including Culebra.

Are you going to do the local San Juan lagoon system near the airport?

Trucha
08-22-2006, 02:44 PM
Hey all:

It seems that I will be in Puerto Rico the first week in March. My wife's conference is at the end of the week and we want to get some touristy things in prior to her being at the conference. However, one of the areas we will visit is El Yunque National Forest. And, right next to it is Luquillo - a wadeable beach with miles of areas to fish from shore. I have heard that a multitude of fish come onto the flats there. So, the wife knows one day (or more), I will be wading at Luguillo.

I have made preliminary contact with a guide out of San Juan for tarpon. He guides not far from SJ and may do that during the time my wife is at work. We will stay at Caribe Hilton, I would prefer somewhere else but it is where the conference is and it is close to Viejo San Juan. I will post up my trip report. Looking forward to it.

Fish hard.

juro
08-23-2006, 12:42 PM
I look forward to exchanging intel with you.