Chatham Outside/Flats [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Chatham Outside/Flats

BigDave
07-10-2006, 09:28 AM
Friday I fished the SB flats and much to my surprise was one of the only anglers out there. I saw the full boat headed to NM and decided to go the other way. Had quality shots at a number big singles but couldn't get them to eat. Got a few mid-20's fish on the drop in the early afternoon. Water is quite comfortable for wet wading.

Sat & Sun I fished with a friend a mile or 2 outside of the lighthouse->pollock shoals. Slow mornings both days but once the tide started ripping it was good times. Big schools of legal bass under high-wheeling birds. Not many actually came to the surface but when they did it was like someone dropping bowling balls from the sky. I got a couple of 35 inch + bass to come up and demolish a 4/0 snake fly on top. Great visuals! One weighed at 17# on the boga. We also picked up deep fish using agressive sinking lines + big flies.

Some of the fish puked peanut bunker, some eels, some squid. I watched a number of big bass chasing around big 6 inch long, tan/orange backed baitfish around on top. Any idea what these could be?

juro
07-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Sounds like a good weekend.

What shape were these baitfish? Colors sound like pollock to me, having seen this a lot off the Gloucester jetty in years past.

Smcdermott
07-10-2006, 09:59 AM
The full sized bunker can also have a tan orange hue. The ones I got in the bay a few weeks ago did.

Sean

BigDave
07-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Pollock is a possibility. They actually looked just like a baby cod and I'm starting to think that's exactly what they were. They definitely were of a different size and profile than adult bunker - although I have heard those are around as well.

They had thick, rounded bodies with tan/orange back and white belly - no silvery flash. We have seen them getting chased around at the vineyard too. The bass seem to be really turned onto them whatever they are.

juro
07-10-2006, 10:16 AM
Pollock Rip :D

Wouldn't wanna be one!

Stevo
07-11-2006, 05:03 PM
Did they look like this?

http://static.flickr.com/45/137386866_2bb160460b.jpg