Bad Run of Luck [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bad Run of Luck

Slinger
07-09-2006, 12:57 AM
About a month ago I snapped the tip on my TFO 9x9 after numerous collisions with clousers. Last week my TFO 10 wt had a similar failure while reaching for a fiesty blue. Not the rods fault in either incident, all mine. Now today I had my brand new TFO spin rod out for only the second time and stuck it in the stern rod holder after going out fluking. The ramp at Great Island has a high dock with ladders. I slid the boat up alongside the dock and heard that sickining crack just as I realized the stern holder is at a slight angle to the boat, snapped that tip off slick as a mink. I`ve gone for years without busting a rod and now it`s 3 in one month! TFO`s gonna love me!
Is boat fishing harder on rods than wading? I don`t ever remember breaking a rod before I had the boat but now it seems to happen a lot.
Slinger

Warren
07-09-2006, 04:17 AM
Is boat fishing harder on rods than wading?
Slinger

I dunno about the boat thing Steve, but clousers seem to do their share of damage to rod tips among my circle of friends. As do car doors & slipping down steep embankments.

I wonder if maybe your boat is not unlike the Kite Eating Tree in the Charlie Brown comics?...... Slingers Rod Eating Boat :frown:

Hopefully now that you have exhausted your supply of rods the bad luck streak is over. And your boat has satisfied it's apetite.

FishHawk
07-09-2006, 07:45 AM
Steve, over breakfast at Leo's I asked the Basser what's happend to Slinger? Now I know. FishHawk

jfbasser
07-09-2006, 12:10 PM
It is definitely the boat , Slinger.....I have had many rod tips eaten by the hatches on my Ranger...and then there was my port windshield removal by a 2X4 extending from a dock when backing along it with my trolling motor:mad:

That TFO spinner was a sweet rod...

rooster
07-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Hey Slinger,
Ceiling fans and screen doors are my nemisis!
I've seen several rod broken over the years and only one was while a fish was being played....., I'm sure customer service at Sage and TFO could write a book on the most amusing ways rods have been busted, but I bet most folks would tell them "it broke while fighting a fish!"
Cheers,
Rooster:roll:

FrankF
07-09-2006, 05:46 PM
Slinger

Things happen in threes. You should be okay now for another 20 years....I hope

Frank