Cleaning your Wading Equipment [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Cleaning your Wading Equipment

scruffy fly
07-07-2006, 11:05 AM
New Zealand Mudsnails, Whirling Disease, and Rock Snot.

We fishermen are dragging them from one place to another place and we need to take precautions to prevent that.

Clean your wading equipment. Here are a number of procedures that you can choice from to fit your situation.

http:/www.westdenvertu.org/snails.htm

juro
07-07-2006, 05:27 PM
Cool

I use separate boots for separate regions. Small price to pay.

scruffy fly
07-19-2006, 08:21 PM
Cool

I use separate boots for separate regions. Small price to pay.

Excellent. That is a good thing to do for waters that you know are contaminated. I presume you are using a separate pair of waders too. If not you should be as visual inpsections is inadequate. Mudsnails can be no bigger than a grain of pepper. Whirling disease spores are microscopic in size as is the rock snot diatom. The young of zebra mussels are microscopic also.

Your other set of wading equipment that you use for waters that are not known to be contaminater:
You need to be sanitizing them. You and no one else is going to know that a body of water has recently become contaminated until months or years after contamination.
There are two major reasons.
1) Things like didymo and mudsnails are too small to notice in a stream or lake until it has severely started to impact the environment. The head biologist for the Colorado DOW says that there could be 10's of thousand of New Zealand Mudsnails in the water before anyone would notice them.
2) It takes a long time to get the word passed to the public about the problem.

juro
07-19-2006, 11:41 PM
The waders used in different regions are used in saltwater and washed to remove salt with chlorinated water.

Is there a risk?