Atlantic Salmon Fly of the Week Killer Whisker [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Atlantic Salmon Fly of the Week Killer Whisker

Charlie
07-07-2006, 08:00 AM
Yvon Gendron, from Neptune flies in the town of Drummondville, Quebec, originated this fly. Gendron saw the use of green butts on dry flies as a natural extension of those used on wet flies. He came up with the fly some time in the 1980s. Other colors can be substituted for the green butt but this version remains the most popular.

Hook: Up eye Atlantic Salmon dry fly hook
Tail: White calf tail.
Body: A butt of fluorescent green deer hair followed by spun natural deer body hair all trimmed to a cigar shape.
Hackle: Brown saddle hackle wound through the body and at the head of the fly
Wing: White calf tail upright and divided.
Head: Black

flytyer
07-08-2006, 12:57 AM
Charlie,

I remember this fly from one you sent me a couple years ago. I remember thinking it looked like an IRRISISTIBLE on steroids with a very visible butt. I really ought to tie a few for steelhead; but I haven't since only a few types (or styles) of dries is all that is needed. This fly does beg for a tryout on steelhead though and should be terrific fished with a hitch.

juro
07-08-2006, 03:50 AM
There sure is something about green for Canadian maritimes / atlantic patterns, those in the know often swear by it so I've witnessed. I know I will have plenty of flies with these highlights (whether wet or dry) when I go again. A green butt waker/dry is a winner, and as flytyer says will work on pnw steelies too. I'm not sure I would hitch it; the design should provide enough "lift" tied on the eye and simply waked.

Maybe it's just me but I prefer to hitch flies that would otherwise not plane (where this would) and/or those which would not take a beating from the hitch itself where this fly would be mashed up pretty good by it.

As a side note on clear summer Gaspe' pools I believe this fly would be fished more often on a downcurrent drag over the fish than waked.