Atlantic Salmon Fly of the week – John Olin [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Atlantic Salmon Fly of the week – John Olin

Charlie
06-30-2006, 10:25 AM
This is another one from Paul Leblanc, a well-known fly tier from Montreal, Quebec. Leblanc was the Atlantic Salmon Federation’s “Fly Tier of the Year” in 1989. The fly, created in 1984 on the Ste-Marguerite, is a variation of a fly called the Olin Black and Gold. This fly is a very popular fly on the Grand Cascapedia.

Hook: Up eye salmon hook.
Tag: Fine oval silver tinsel.
Tail: golden pheasant rump feather fibers.
Rib: Medium Oval gold tinsel.
Body: Flat gold tinsel.
Wing: Black bear hair.
Hackle: Black hackle tied in as a throat.
Head: Red

Smolt
06-30-2006, 05:08 PM
Very nice tie, as usual.

I first fished the "John Olin" on the Matapedia about four seasons ago. It was very productive. It was also popular on the Miramichi three seasons ago.

The version I was given differed in that:

1. the head was black
2. the body was holographic gold flat tinsel;
3. the rib was "Soft Wire";
4. the tail was GP crest; and
5. the tag was gold "Soft Wire".

I have changed the color combinations of the body tinsel and wire around on a number of versions that I plan to give a shot on the Miramichi later this month.

flytyer
07-01-2006, 03:30 AM
Charlie,

This looks like it would be equally good for steelhead. For some reason, there are very few steelhead flies with tinsel bodies, especially in gold or copper. This fly has the look of a more subdued or subtle NIGHT HAWK because of its gold body. I'd also bet that if tied with a copper tinsel body it would be a bit darker and still effective fly.

Salar 33
07-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Hi Charlie,

One of my favorite patterns. I started fishing the fly on the Grande and Petite some ten years ago. I was fishing out of Camp Brule and took four fish to the J.O. in very small sizes.

Smolt,

Perhaps the one that Peter showed you looked a bit like this photo. My fishing buddy L.T. and I introduced the holo to the boys in Matapedia and it has taken hold for a number of the patterns that they use. I now use it in silver, gold, red and green. I only wish my fly tying skill were as good as Charlie's.

C.R.O.

Skilly
07-01-2006, 09:10 PM
Since 1986 when I spent the entire summer and fall on the Deschues I have tied a fly with a gold tinsel body overwrapped with a small silver rope. and a gold flashabou tail Normally I tie this in purple and red, but have tried several other colors sticking with the same body and tail. My best day was 13 to the bank. Its my avitar.

Skilly

Salar-1
07-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Salar33
Nice fly ! is that olive in the throat ?
Charlie
The JO I fish with is the John Olin Special. Essentially the same, except the black throat is webby and long ,head is black and a longish JC is used. Size 8's and 10's
It has become my go-to fly for July and August .
Cheers

Salar 33
07-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Thanks Brian,

That is a yellow color baby kid hair left a bit long. I like the translucent properties and fineness of the hair. It is available in a fair number or colors and works great as wings in smaller sizes. You need to see what you are buying because the quality differences from skin to skin are dramatic.

C.R.O.

Smolt
07-06-2006, 04:57 PM
C.R.O.

That is very close to the fly I was given by Peter, except the throat was black and there was no butt. Mine did have JC, which I forgot to mention in my post above.

CK