can someone please ID this fish [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: can someone please ID this fish

CaliGuy24
06-27-2006, 11:43 PM
hey I dont trout fish alot, mostly a bass fisherman. recently I've been driving alot up to yosemite to trout fish. Im not sure what kind of trout this is it dosent look like the normal brook trout up there, and i dont think its a rainbow or brown. It had white all around its drosal and pelvic fins.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h139/BassnGuy24/DCP_0002.jpg

chromer
06-28-2006, 06:42 AM
Its a brown, but I am not sure about the white fins. Good looking fish though!

Looks a lot like those trout from Slovenia in the other thread.

Adrian
06-28-2006, 08:26 AM
Reminds me of the wild browns that used to inhabit the freestone streams I fished back in the UK with those big red spots and white tinged fins. Beautiful fish!

GregD
06-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Hi

It also looks like some Dolly Varden trout I have caught in alaska...

Greg.

CaliGuy24
06-28-2006, 05:04 PM
Hi

It also looks like some Dolly Varden trout I have caught in alaska...

Greg.
ya thats what i was thinking, they have them there they are just really rare and if caught need to be reported to fish and game thats why i wanted to know the ID. thanks

pescaphile
06-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Dollies are a char and, as such, have vermiculations on their backs instead of spots. Additionally, those vermiculations are light markings on a dark background color rather than dark on light. The red spots on a Dolly's sides are also nice symmetrical circles and not irregular blotches like the fish shown -Definitely a Brown Trout.

Charlie
06-30-2006, 01:03 PM
CaliGuy24,

That is without a doubt a brown, and a very nice one. The ones I catch in my area are very similarly colored. Nice job bro!

Charlie