Matane and Matapedia [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Matane and Matapedia

Venture
06-27-2006, 01:42 PM
I'm a new member and planning on visiting the Matane and Matapedia rivers within the week. I have not been there since 1979. I used to fish it religiously. Since then I've been fortunate enough to fish Iceland and the north coast rivers of the Kola. But I want to see where my addiction started, because I have some very fond memories of the Gaspe....

But since I haven't been there in over 25 years, I hope I am not going to be shocked. Actually I loved the Matane and some of the stretches of the Matapedia...even though each fish came with many hours behind it.

Can anyone give me any tips on these rivers? Have they fished well? Should I try the Matapedia over the Matane? Or perhaps the Restigouche? Never fished that one, nor the St. Anne which I hear is beautiful.

Any information is great, as I am leaving on Friday for about 10days......

Thanks
Howie

QuebecSporting
06-27-2006, 06:30 PM
Hi,
Check your PM......

Tight lines.........

Let us know how the fishing was!!

a..

wilson
06-27-2006, 11:48 PM
I just got back from the Matapedia last week. There are fish about and if you're prepared to work for them go ahead and hit it. Nothing like a day flogging Alice and her friends Cullen, Adams, and Heppel ;-) I always fish it when I'm in Gaspe since it's such a nice run of public water.

When you get back I'd be interested to hear your opinion of the river and how you feel it's changed. Please post a follow up.

Be sure to hit Routhierville and Browns and the little pots in between Alice and her friends. There's also a nice little run below her that is unnamed and fishes well. There are no secrets as most pools are clearly visible.

It was dry fly time when I was there so be sure to take a bomber or two. Head out to Bonaventure as well since there are fish there. Public water on the York should also be good. All the pools there are marked and obvious. When I was there in early June there were fish up to Zone 10 so they are everywhere.

The Matapedia and York needed rain badly. If that system moves up the coast you may be in for a treat.

-Chris

Venture
06-28-2006, 06:41 AM
Thanks Ann.....
A little difficult to understand the charts, although it brings back memories of the tough fishing on those rivers, as I was spoiled in Iceland and Russia. Even so, I am looking forward to just being on the Gaspe once again. Upon returning, I will definately post my observations as it relates to the change over 25 years.

Thanks Chris:
Where about is the Bonaventure and the York in relation to the Matane and Matapedia? I definately want to do some traveling around the area and don't have to stay in one area. The Matane looks quite lean these days, if I was reading the charts well. There seems to be very few fish in the river. The Matapedia is probably where I will start. Thanks for mentioning Alice. Had a great moment there in the late seventies. One of my favorite pools was Pleasant Beach. I wonder if you still have to walk through the pulp mill to get to it. Guess I'll just have to poke around. But please get back to me with the where a bouts of the York and Boniventure, and perhaps some cliff notes on those rivers as I never laid eyes on them and would be very interested in fishing there.

And Yes..... I have tons of bombers and hairy harrys (split wing bombers), all sizes and colors...

Thanks
Howard

Salar-1
06-28-2006, 08:46 AM
Chris
Browns is a high water pool and the "sweet spot" near the rock is only accessable by canoe OR hiking down the tracks and walking back up and lean your body on the rocks .Spey casting is the only option here if you're wading.I wouldn't fish Routierville ,as even though Richard Firth personally intervened , the Yanqui long rods still hold forth there .Go there without "introducing yourself and fishermen "leap " out of the trailers and or cabins and you soon find yourself "in rotation" . I think your unnamed run is/was called the Choke. Howard you must be familiar with that :-) Adams is still fishing well although you'll notice the abrupt change from the these yrs. The taking spot on Heppel "Hoople" is STILL there .However Robert Strong has long passed away. Remember the "colonel's " weighted black flies :-O. Pleasant Beach ? ah "the beaches' of the yrs 70s and 80's hasn't been producing lately or so I've heard. Always worth a try though .Tank should be worth a try, and if you have a two handed rod, the run below it. Fish haven't been holding well in any of the pools except for Adams . The Matane fish ,as Chris mentioned, are trickling in.Bonaventure is the same, pehaps more so.Friend of mine did a canoe run through D and C on the Bonnie and saw 3 and 1 fish respectfully. Bonaventure is 2 hrs away., York 2 to 3 hrs past that Instead of the Matane I'd go next door to the Cap Chat .

Venture
06-28-2006, 10:32 AM
Thanks Salar 1,

Do you know anything about the York's public water? I will definately fish the Matapedia, perhaps not the Matane unless they get some volume of water that brings in some brights. There were some great little pools on the lower Matane that would stop these fish within a day or two of their fresh water arrival.

But I am definately interested also in the York. Is there a decent place to stay there, because I am bringing my wife. I used to always camp......but now with the "new" wife, I learned some lessons and don't want to wind up in another divorce :) She is rugged, and watches me tie, and comes offshore with me occasionally for tuna.....as I own an offshore boat in Montauk NY. But she never saw the Gaspe and is as excited as I am.

So anything about the York, and places to stay there. Also, perhaps you know of a good place to stay when at the Matapedia while re-unite with Alice.

Thanks
Howie

QuebecSporting
06-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Hi Howie,

I can help out for the York.

There are different Hotels/ Motels in town ( 15-20 minutes to fishing).
Rates are between: $55.00 + taxesCAD - 1 motel for 2 and they go up to
$ 150.00.

The fishing: conditions are still great in town.... rain would be nice, but levels are
holding.

Once you are in town, give me a ring, we are on the waters everyday since June 1. I'll tell you where to go. :rolleyes:

I would book my accommodations ASAP it's tourist season and they are becoming rare.

Go catch'em!! :smile:

A..

Venture
06-28-2006, 11:58 AM
Well that is a great invitation Ann :) I really appreciate it.

But what town.....is it Chap Chat? Also, what hotel is nicest for us to stay in while we are there? If you can give me the name + number of that place I will call now. Perhaps a place where I can leave and take the car and go up river or anywhere else that may be productive and if my wife elects to stay back, she is not stranded somewhere in the woods.....

And for sure I will call you once I am up there. Just let me have your number.... I will be bringing my cell as well.

Thanks in Advance,
Howard

Salar-1
06-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Howard
Your in good hands as far as the York. There's a good motel at the mouth of the Cap Chat with excellent cuisine. As far as leaving the SWMBO in town ,take her up the road along the Cap Chat, it's truly spectacular. Gotta be the most picturesque river in the area. Couple of pools even have lookouts with picnic tables.I'll try and post some pic's tomorrow. The ZEC is about the best (along with the Matapedia ) run in the Gaspe. Although the run is relatively small they'd be big fish .Big (to 10
lb) sea trout also
Cheers

wilson
06-29-2006, 12:11 AM
The York is in Gaspe proper and the Bonaventure is in Bonaventure proper but D and E sectors can be a bit of a drive. Try the Adams in Gaspe, there's a nicer place up on the hill (with the blue roof) but the Adams will do to get you started.

Salar-1, I had Heppel, the run above Heppel, Tank, Routhierville, and more all to my lonesome when I was there June 17, on a Saturday no less...so forgive me for the "say, whaaat"? There were fish in all the runs above the bridge near as I could tell (they were jumping at last light). And for Browns, wade deep and [single Spey] cast long and you can reach the rock ;-) But alas, there were no fish for my fly. Thanks for the tip, I'll try crossing next year.

At any rate, after the holiday there should plenty of fish everywhere.

-Chris

Salar-1
06-29-2006, 09:22 AM
Chris
Twas the same on the12th ! I couldn't believe the lack of fishermen on the river . Saw one in Adams , one leaving Heppel and only about 6 in the Forks .If the fish were showing above Hoople could they have been moving up ? They're not even staying in the lower Causapscal.