Free Fishing in NY this weekend 6/24-6/25 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Free Fishing in NY this weekend 6/24-6/25

Quentin
06-23-2006, 07:03 PM
No fishing license required in NY on the last weekend of June every year. :cool:

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/fish/fishregs/fishlicense.html#FreeFishingDays

I'm probably going to give it a shot despite the poor weather forecast. May have to keep driving north until I escape the nasty stuff. Hmm, I haven't fished Champlain yet :D .

Q

Quentin
06-26-2006, 08:53 PM
Well, I didn't have to go as far north as Champlain to escape the rain. The weather was just fine a few miles north of Albany and the fish were very cooperative :cool: . My friend and I hooked dozens of smallies (and missed as many or more :chuckle: ), along with a few nice largemouths and a bunch of assorted panfish. I saw and casted at some big carp but they were more interested in chasing each other around than eating. Most of the action was on top (with spinning gear :tsk_tsk: ) but I did spend plenty of time with the fly rod and had a blast with a small red/white deer hair popper.

Q

Adrian
06-26-2006, 09:51 PM
Interesting the Carp were chasing each other about. I saw similar behavior in the Housatonic this past w/e. I assumed spawning behavior but I would have thought they would be done before now. Maybe Carp enjoy an extended season :smokin:

Quentin
06-26-2006, 11:17 PM
Yep, seems like they'd be done by now. They weren't doing as much "nuzzling" as they do in May so maybe they weren't spawning but they sure didn't seem to have food on their minds. Too bad, 'cause there were some monsters!

Q