Steelhead Fly of the week – Rick’s Revenge [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Steelhead Fly of the week – Rick’s Revenge

Charlie
06-23-2006, 02:50 PM
The Originators of this fly are Rick Wren and John Shewey. It was invented for fishing the Deschutes river in Oregon. I don’t know much about Rick Wren but John Shewey is a well-known fly tier and author who has many productive fly patterns to his credit.

Hook: Up eye salmon hook.
Tag: Flat silver tinsel
Tail: Fluorescent pink floss.
Body: Rear ˝: Fluorescent pink floss veiled on top with the same. Front ˝ Purple dubbing .
Hackle: Badger palmered over the body with a few extra turns at the head.
Collar (1): Purple hackle.
Wing: White under purple hair.
Collar (2): Purple guinea.
Cheek: Jungle cock
Head: Red

Eric
06-23-2006, 09:51 PM
Beautiful tie, Charlie, as always.

Rick Wren was a guide on the Deschutes for a number of years, as well as president of the Deschutes River Public Outfitters, and various levels of officer in the Oregon Guides and Packers.. He did his steelhead fishing from a jet-sled emblazoned with the logo: "Rick Wren -- The Fly Guy." He is an excellent guide and angler, although I don't know if he's still actively guiding on the Deschutes (Google search didn't turn up much).

You are certainly getting some esoteric patterns in your Steelhead box. I can't wait to see the next treasure you unearth.

Cheers,

Eric

QuebecSporting
06-24-2006, 08:32 AM
Pretty!!! very In, I must say!! :)

question:
How would one differ a steelhead fly vs a salmon fly ??

A..

Salar-1
06-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Ann
To answer your question , A steelhead fly is launched at Steelhead and a Salmon fly is launched at Salmon.:cool:
BTW: ARE USING YOUR PC AT :tsk_tsk: WORK ??
I am, and I get this neat password to log on with !

QuebecSporting
06-24-2006, 11:37 PM
Hmmmm??? !!! :confused:
I was expecting this long ____________ Scientific reply. :rolleyes:

Phone 's ringing, gotta go.

Ann :biggrin:

flytyer
06-25-2006, 12:22 AM
Charlie,

Hopefully some steelhead folk will tie up (or have someone tie them for their use) this and some of the other flies you've been putting up to let others see them. All of the ones you've chosen to feature are proven patterns that work. Unfortunately, many of them are virtually unkown by most steelhead fly fishers.

Ann,

Salar hit the nail on the head, which is why many of us steelheaders use flies designed for Atlantic Salmon. I suspect there is going to be more of this type of cross-over as both steelheaders and salmon anglers become more familiar with the flies tied for each.