Rip Trip this Saturday [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rip Trip this Saturday


striblue
06-19-2006, 11:31 PM
Since we discussed the rip trip at Big Brother day... we have 7 who want to go. We need three more. Instead of the sign up I have to go with those at BB who want to make this. We also discussed that we should not wait for mid-day lows and JUST go, providing that we do not on weak tides. This way becuse of our history of cancellations we can do more trips and also fish other locations on SM.... so sign up here and I will also do a alternate lis... 10 guys... right now we have me, JimS and son, Fishhawk, CJ,Striperstriper.... and please let me know why I can't remember the other person.

juro
06-19-2006, 11:39 PM
John -

I might be in... but can not commit at this time. Put me on a waiting list for now thanks.

bonefishmon
06-20-2006, 05:02 AM
Please add me to the list barring no unforseen circumstances. It is 6am as I type and the family will need to know of my plans.

Phil

juro
06-20-2006, 06:14 AM
Having been the original organizer with John and Keith, I have to point out that the "list" is like being pregnant... there is no sorta being on the list.

If you hold a place, you owe the share of the cost (approx 30 dollars).

If you are on the waiting list, that is a separate list and you are bumped by anyone who gets interested up to the last minute and not on the confirmed list.

Summary -

confirmed list owes whether they go or not but their seat is held

pending list means nothing really, just a heads up but does not owe if they do not go

please specify which of the two when you post

I am not on the confirmed list John, but am trying to sort things out to get on it asap

jimS
06-20-2006, 06:48 AM
John, I'm a definite along with my son, Sephon (Chris). I think the 7th guy we spoke about was Ken McRae, KMcfly.

Thanks for organizing. We still have the migration, although waning, and the rip should prove interesting.

Dble Haul
06-20-2006, 08:20 AM
I'd love to go, but I'm already gonna be on the Cape this weekend with friends in Barnstable Harbor. We will be fishing Cape Cod Bay and doing touristy things with the wives.

Perhaps the next trip will have more advanced notice (I hope).

Have fun.

striblue
06-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks Juro....so we have Me, JimS, Sephon, fishhawk, CJ (Graig), KMKfly, Striperstriper, Bonefishmon,....need two more, with juro on the alternate....will striperstriper, CJ, and Fishhawk please confirm here.

CSJ60
06-20-2006, 11:07 AM
Count me in.

Adrian
06-20-2006, 11:09 AM
John

I can't get there for this one but Arthur, the fourth roomie at the schoolhouse cottage expressed interest and I think this will be his last week-end on the Cape. I dont have a number for him but if JimS or anyone should see him he might make up the numbers for you.

Just a thought - have fun:D

KMcFly
06-20-2006, 11:37 AM
I will not be able to make it this year.

juro
06-20-2006, 11:47 AM
There will be more through the year.

FrankF
06-20-2006, 12:37 PM
Pardon my ignorance... What is the Rip Trip? Is the Rip Trip a day trip or an overnight ? I would like to go if you have an opening but I need to know if it is overnight.

Frank

FishHawk
06-20-2006, 01:54 PM
I am in FishHawk:smokin: However, if it's put off until Sunday due to weather I can't make Sunday.

Smcdermott
06-20-2006, 02:05 PM
Pardon my ignorance... What is the Rip Trip? Is the Rip Trip a day trip or an overnight ? I would like to go if you have an opening but I need to know if it is overnight.

Frank

Frank,

Rip Trip is a day trip to the tip of South Monomoy. I am sure others will chime in with more details but I believe the rough schedule would be a 7 a.m. departure on the Rip Ryder and a 4-5 p.m. return.

Sean

bonefishmon
06-20-2006, 04:20 PM
I am a definate but like Bill, I cannot go on Sunday. If you need someone to fill the tenth spot I am working on it and should now by tomorrow evening. I believe we have a noontime high? Is that correct?

John. When do we leave and depart? Should we mail a check to you to cover the group in the event of a last minute cancellation? If the answer is yes, what is the address to send it?

Phil

FrankF
06-20-2006, 06:33 PM
I'm in. I hope there is still room for me. I can go either date.

PopnesetBay
06-20-2006, 09:13 PM
Is it limited to only 10 or is that just the minimum number to make it affordable? Sounds interesting and think it will fit but don't want to make plans and find out that I am shut out because there is a maximum number.
Pete Readel (PopnesetBay)

striperstripper
06-20-2006, 09:25 PM
99.9% confirmed,will know for sure tomorrow.

striblue
06-21-2006, 09:57 AM
I am watching the weather carefully and , for now, it does not look good...rain AND TS"s for Saturday....if so, naturally Keith will not go out. If by Friday the forcast is the same we will be off.... this means that for JimS and son, we might look to the best weather of next week and I will look at the tides to see if we are moving into a weak tide..... any thoughts on this....also if it does rain I probably will not go down this weekend.... so let's keep an eye on this...John....PS Popnesetbay - the number is a max of 10, and if one or 2 fail to appear... the remaining 8 pay the difference...since for 10 it is $30 each , if only, say, 8 then the remaining $60 is alloted to the 8...this would only up the cost to about $6.50 per person.... naturally failures to show that morning does a diservice to those on any alternate list. This is why it is important to check the thread late Friday night to see if there are any last minute cancelations which would allow the use of the alternate list and allow you to make plans...ok? Frank - you are in.............I will update the list this evening

FredA
06-21-2006, 10:56 AM
Tides are a bit off next week but I'm available Monday, tues, or thursday if a body is needed to make a quorum. I think Domino Frank might be interested too.

PopnesetBay
06-21-2006, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the answer about the number question. Unfortunately, once I leave NY I am without computer access so a late Fri post is not available to me. With the very questionable weather I will pass on it BUT if it looks like it might be on Sunday and a body is needed, cottage phone is 508 477-1465 and I would be able to fill a spot. Some one of these days I hope to hook up with others and try to learn more about SB, both sides. If it turns out to be a go on Sat and a body is needed call cottage and leave msg & number that I can reach someone. I would be available, that way, to fill a spot. Thanks for the info.

Pete Readel (PopnesetBay) petereadel@verizon.net

FishHawk
06-21-2006, 03:41 PM
I will be camping on the Cape and will contact Kieth on Fri. to get the update. I also have Jim S phone. Looks like the weather is questionable. Next weekend is the weekend of the Fourth which is on a Tues. will let you know about this. Might not want to fight the traffic. Will know better next week. FishHawk

striperstripper
06-21-2006, 04:40 PM
I could not get the extra 1/10 % to make it completely confirmed ,I will not make this trip,the honey do list has me by the short hairs.

bonefishmon
06-21-2006, 04:50 PM
John is chosing the right path in planning according to the weather IMHO. Pick a day with no thunder and strong wind because we know from experience how long a walk it may be if Keith can't pick us up on the south end. I will not be able make it Monday thru Thursday.

If lightning is in the forcast for Saturday I will not be coming. John. Thanks again for putting this together.

Phil

kush
06-21-2006, 04:56 PM
John,

I wish I was there so I could tag along... the first Rip Trip I went on with you guys was a real highlight - not a bad intro to Striper fishing for this Wet Coast steelheader! I hope you guys have a blast and really slay them. :smokin:

striblue
06-23-2006, 09:21 AM
Kush, hope to see you soon...... as far as the trip goes, it looks bad as far as I can tell...so...I will not be down this weekend and will plan on being down next Thursday though the 7th of July...I spoke with Jim Simms yesturday and ask him to make the call obviously along with Keith.....so if it can be pulled off, Jim is leader....John

jimS
06-23-2006, 05:28 PM
Guys, based on the current wind and thunderstorm forecast for Saturday and Sunday, it appears that the trip is cancelled. Keith will confirm.

The elbow of the Cape has been fishfing well if you are in the right place at etc. The fish are in their summer mode, but available. If you are making it down to the Cape for the Rip Trip, I'll be at the Rip Ryder at 8 a.m. and can give you some current info on whats happening.

Weather plays havoc with this trip since major winds out of the southwest pounds the hell out of everyone, pl.us it can be somewhat adventuresome. Keith makes the calls and errs on the same side! I like that.

FrankF
06-23-2006, 05:42 PM
Thanks Jim. We'll try another day. I won't drive down tonight from Sudbury.

Frank

juro
06-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Frankly the tides were no good for the rip anyway.

Rip Ryder
06-23-2006, 05:57 PM
Southwest wind 15-20 seas 2-4 feet (my ass), more like 3-6 after blowing out of that directions at 20mph all week. Thunderstorms forcast for the afternoon.

We will have to try again.

And for those of you who have shown great concern and enthusiam about the new boat, SHE MADE IT HERE TODAY.

JimS and Sephon thanks for taking time out to come see her. Tuna will fit through that door just fine JIM.

Keith

striblue
06-23-2006, 09:20 PM
Juro, the tides may not be good for the Rip, but as we figured, that with all the past cancellations, and so long as we did not go on a weak tide we could fish areas besides the rip, like the west flats...a long walk, but we can also fish the beaches in general just to get down there... our history of cancellations was discussed and a number of guys have caught fish off that shore line with or without rip.... just tring to get there one way or another. I suspect that we will be sure to plan a trip or two at optimum tides...but that might risk never getting down there at all..