centerpin vs baitcaster reels? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: centerpin vs baitcaster reels?

trout5
06-19-2006, 07:03 PM
Ok here I go. Lol I'm not sure which way to go on this topic. So any in-sight would go along way. I would like your views on the pros and cons of both reel set ups. I'm looking at either going to a Islander cp reel or possible Calcutta baitcaster reel. I just want a great float reel. I've worked myself into a corner and got myself so lost on both reels. I need some direction. Please add to this topic so i can easy my mind from going crazy. :confused:

trout5
06-21-2006, 06:16 AM
Come on people .Can i get alittle help?

juro
06-21-2006, 06:26 AM
Well actually, this is a real flyfishing forum (not like all the ones that just call themselves that).

So the best advice I could offer would be to try another forum that is not a flyfishing forum (hence the name).

I would wager that general fishing sites in the British Columbia area or Great Lakes would be best.

Good luck!

teflon_jones
06-21-2006, 08:22 PM
My advice would be to buy a fly fishing rig and forget about that other stuff. :)

P.S. If only I knew what a centerpin reel was maybe I could help.

Eddie
06-28-2006, 08:07 PM
I think that the Islander center pin reel is a thing of beauty. It will be hader to learn than the bait caster (and less versitile), but you will win MAJOR style points. If you wanted to "flyfish", I supose you could "nymph and indicate" with the center pin set up too.