Atlantic Salmon Fly of the week – Sugerman Shrimp [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Atlantic Salmon Fly of the week – Sugerman Shrimp

Charlie
06-19-2006, 09:18 AM
Some will argue weather this is a true shrimp pattern. It has the long tail of golden pheasant red breast fibers that characterizes shrimp patterns but that seems to be it. However, no one will argue the effectiveness of this fly. Stan Sugarman invented it for fishing the Miramichi River. The dressing given below is Sugarman’s original dressing. The fly in the picture is my version. I added a tag of oval gold tinsel, wound tail of golden pheasant red breast feather and wound the hackles as collars.

Hook: Tiemco 5262, size 2.
Tail: golden pheasant red breast fibers as long as the body.
Rib: Medium Oval gold tinsel.
Body: Rear half: Chartreuse yarn; front half: black yarn.
Body hackle: Rear half: Chartreuse, palmered; front half: black, palmered.

sean
06-19-2006, 04:11 PM
Nice tie! Who would argue it was not a shrimp pattern? Looks like your basic irish shrimp pattern in a different color combo than you might usually see. Will have to put some in my box...if I ever get to swing a fly for salmonoids again...

flytyer
06-21-2006, 01:11 AM
Charlie,

It would seem to me that whether one tied it with the hackled palmered, as Sugarman does it, or with a hackle colar wrapped at the midpoint and head of the fly with no palmering, as in the style of an Irish Shrimp, this would be an effective fly. Great color, motion (giving the illusionn of life), terrific profile, and great swimming all add up to effectiveness in my opinion, and this fly has all of these characteristics.

Salar-1
06-23-2006, 10:31 AM
Charlie
Nice fly
Has anyone had any luck with Shrimp patterns in other that tiny size 8's or 10's
TIA

flytyer
06-24-2006, 11:41 PM
Salar-1,

Yes, I use them in sizes up to #2/0 with #6 and #8 being the sizes I use most for PNW summer steelhead, and #1/0 amd #2 most used for PNW winter steelhead. One of my favorite shrimp patterns for summer steelhead is my Irish Shrimp adaptation of Frank Amato's NIGHT DANCER, which I simply call the NIGHT DANCER SHRIMP, and I fish it mostly tied on #5 Alec Jackson Spey Hooks.

It is tied thus:

tip: oval silver tinsel
tail: long webby red hackle wound.
r. body: black floss, oval silver rib
veiling: ultraviolet purple Krystal Flash (top and bottom)
mid-hackle: black (long and webby)
f. body: black floss, oval silver rib
veiling: ultraviolet purple Krystal Flash (top and bottom)
colar: purple (long and webby)
head: black or purple 6/0 or 8/0 thread.