New float tube outings [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: New float tube outings

flyjkol
06-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Well yesterday seemed nice enough so I got a chance to break out the float tube. A few hours on the water after tiger-muskie yielded nothing, not even a hit from a small bass. Anyways today i got a jump on four or five largemouth the largest about 14" and the smallest about 10" all on a green popper that slowly became white as the paint chipped (I got to work on that). As for the float tube, it looks as though it might be "holy" with leakage poins around the valves. Im hoping it was just poorly set caps .... Keeping my fingers crossed...
Has anyone else been out in the warm water?

Dble Haul
06-19-2006, 09:18 AM
I was going to hit the local quarry pond this past weekend, but with temps in the mid 90s and no breeze, and a wedding yesterday, I decided to stay in air conditioned surroundings. And boy am I glad that I mowed the lawn on Friday evening! :whoa:

worstcaster
06-19-2006, 05:20 PM
I went to Waneta Lake last week. Caught some sunfish and a nice perch.5851

flyjkol
06-20-2006, 03:10 PM
Dble Haul- I picked a bad week for my air conditioner to go down :rolleyes:

worstcaster- Very nice fish especially the perch... What were they hitting on?

baldmountain
06-20-2006, 03:33 PM
Has anyone else been out in the warm water?

Yup! There is a local pond that I've been visiting off and on this season. I haven't gotten much lately. We had some heavy rain around here and most of the fishing is a bit messed up. Before the rain I had a couple of great days. Mostly on a size 8 chatruese over white clouser and a black nosed dace clouser with smallish gold eyes. (White bucktail along the hook, sparse brown and black wing like a black nosed dace bucktail.) Caught some of the biggest crappies I've ever seen on that black nosed dace clouser.

I'm embarrassed to say I haven't tried the warm water swap flies yet. :frown:

Dble Haul
06-20-2006, 04:05 PM
Dble Haul- I picked a bad week for my air conditioner to go down :rolleyes:

You can stay that again. I hope you're able to stay reasonably comfortable.

My advice: go fishing. :)

worstcaster
06-20-2006, 05:19 PM
They were hitting on #10 Picket's Pin.

baldmountain
06-20-2006, 07:02 PM
They were hitting on #10 Picket's Pin.

I knew there was a reason I tied those for the warmwater swap. :hihi: Good fly!

teflon_jones
06-20-2006, 09:59 PM
I've only managed to get out a couple of times in the last few weeks, but in general the days are SLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW. The panfish are all over the place and ready to bite, but the bass have disappeared. My normal catch of 6-12 bass per trip hasn't been happening, though in my trip a couple of weeks ago the one fish on the day was a 19" or 20" largemouth so that wasn't too bad. On Sunday night I got shut out on largemouth for the first time in as long as I can remember... :( And on my first Father's Day too.......

worstcaster
06-21-2006, 10:16 AM
Baldmountain, your right it is an excellent fly. I lost the one you tied on a submerrged log, but I have made several copies since with very good luck.

flyjkol
06-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Following some good advice I went out to a local lake today. I spent a good 2-3 hours hammering surface vegetation with a weedless rat pattern to no avail. Then switched over to a five weight with a damsel nymph and caught several 4-5" panfish and almost landed a somewhat good bass.
I did see a 4-5 lb channel catfish hit a dragon fly on the surface and a very large carp with a broken off rapala in his mouth herding baitfish... neither of which took very much intrest in flies.