NRS Attack slip-on Neoprene shoe [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: NRS Attack slip-on Neoprene shoe

juro
06-14-2006, 10:01 AM
For flats wading...

These are very similar to my old "water dog" boots that I currently love (LL Bean, discontinued).

Has anyone tried them? Not the zippered neoprene, not the flimsy soled booties but a slip-on full sole neoprene with wrap-around strap to keep tight while walking and loosen for on/off.

Mine stay on my waders except for the occasional rinse out since the slip on neoprene forms like a gasket and stretches around the wader foot. In other words they are virtually a boot foot.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/assets/prod_img/2301F.JPG

Penguin
06-14-2006, 11:22 AM
Every time I've used sandals/booties/whatever with velcro straps in sandy surfy environments...I found they work great at first but the loop velcro would load up with fine sand and, disappointingly, loooooze their parking lot grip and not hold tight.

If they came with nylon buckles I'd be all over them...

juro
06-14-2006, 12:08 PM
Funny you should mention that Pete,

I am converting my ninja boots to nylon buckles (might have mentioned that on a prev post) but although I have the straps, buckles and a nifty tent sewing device that can sew 50# test mono thru leather if needed I have yet to find the motivation and time set aside.

It's quite easy to do especially when there is a strap system already in place as is the case here and on my boots.

Another system that is effective albeit not a replacement for velcro straps per se is the cinch cord like the Bite shoes that was recently reviewed (twice in fact, once before by Sean Ransom with thumbs up).

Penguin
06-14-2006, 12:55 PM
I tried the NRS lace up Work Boot with disappointing results...
Lots of support but it was essentially a neopreme sock sewn inside a water shoe...
In the surf, small amounts of sand would slowly migrate around/under the sock rendering me with an uncomfortable/inconvenient situation.
'Been there...'Done that...Don't want to go back!
Right now I'm using the NRS Paddle Shoe. Sand can annoy the rust-free zipper and usually needs a rinse to clear the teeth...When I insert an orthodic support they do OK but I'm always looking for better options...
I wish Simms made an intigrated lace up athletic style lug sole boot foot capable of long well supported happy feet walks onthebeach...In My Dreams!!!
OnOfTheseDaze!
Weshallsee!? :confused:

sean
06-14-2006, 01:02 PM
bite primal flats shoe...developed with orthopedic insoles. The most comfortable and sand resistent shoes I have worn. Just bought another pair for backup purposes.

-sean

BigDave
06-14-2006, 01:24 PM
After screwing around with stockingfoot waders/duct tape/ninja boots/sand, etc for years I found a solution that works for me: Chota Tellico Bootfooots.

I reserve the stockingfoots for freshwater work and don't need to worry about sand infiltrating the seams and leading them to an early grave.

The Tellico's are very comforable and every bit as supportive as the neoprene bootie option.

juro
06-14-2006, 03:33 PM
I've gone through the same experimentation curve.

I was thinking about a bootfoot to add to the arsenal this year but all the boots I found had felt or were made with insulation and were too large and bulky for my flats and sand walking adventures in mid-day sun (see winter thread).

Also with a brand new pair of stocking foots in my possession I was not eager to invest in the more expensive boot foots as well when I could get like 4 spare spools for the same money.

The only complaint I have now with my neoprene-slipons with full sneaker soles is the conversion of the velcro to nylon snap buckles.

In a couple of years if someone puts a good boot on breathables permanently I might go for it. I don't think anyone's done it yet, they are all targeting the coldwater market with their boot designs.

FishHawk
06-15-2006, 07:18 AM
What's wrong with the Patagonia Marl Walkers? Designed for Flats walking. I would think this would be the ticket. I am watching this thread closely because I'm think of getting stocking foots. Not ready to pull the trigger until some of the kinks are worked . FishHawk

Sephon
06-15-2006, 08:51 AM
I wear the Marl Walkers and I love them. I have an ankle that is requiring many surgeries and their support allow me to complete the marches with JimS. They are lace up can be tightened for additional support.

Last season I was wearing the Simms Guideweight waders, without the built-in gravel guards, and I purchased a pair of the velcro gravel guards and very rarely got sand in the boots. This year I have the Simms G-3's, with the built in gravel guards, and I have had almost no sand in my boots. They are quick to put on, and it doesn't feel like I'm walking around in my socks.

In short, I recommend the boots.

-Chris

Backwater
06-19-2006, 11:32 AM
I would suggest the Bite Primal flats boots. I've been very happy with mine and the fit has been outstanding. I think I've had less sand in this boot than in any I've ever owned.

juro
06-23-2006, 12:05 PM
Is this the primal shoe of which you guys speak?

They are so low on the sides I can hardly believe they could keep Nauset surf sand out... everything else looks great though...

http://www.pegasusshoes.com/images/products/lg/bite-4023A-Primal-wheat-alm.jpg

Adrian
06-23-2006, 03:07 PM
This is the one .....
http://www.avsharp.com/primal.jpg

I just ordered a pair.

A bit confusing on the product-naming front for sure!

juro
06-23-2006, 03:30 PM
Sean / backwater -

what upsizing would you do for simms guide weight wader feet (neoprene stocking feet)

e.g. plus 2 sizes etc

sean
06-23-2006, 08:11 PM
Go one size up and you should be OK if you are using neoprene bootie waders. I have 2 pairs since with those simms travel waders I use the same as my shoe size since they have that light fabric bootie.

-sean

FishHawk
06-25-2006, 06:27 AM
Saw an interesting concept on the Flats . Wayne from NJ has a pair of Simms boot foot waders to which he attached a nylon web with a buckle. Similar to the flats boots you were talking about Juro. He says this has solved the problem with support with the traditional boot foot wader , which has a lack of support in the ankle. Brilliant idea. FishHawk