LL Bean and the Xi2 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: LL Bean and the Xi2

Smcdermott
06-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Early last week I went to rig up my 9wt Rplxi for a quick evening outing and realized that the female ferule on the two piece rod had a crack in it. I went to my local shop hoping they would have some options Sage doesn't list on their website for a quicker turnaround on the warranty. They didn't and it then dawned on me that I had bought the rod at LL Bean. I decided to give them a call and see how far they take their 100% satisfaction guarantee. I called on Friday night with my receipt but they could not find me in the system since the rod was about 3 yrs old. They transferred me over to the fly fishing department and the gentleman was very helpful. He told me they could do a quick exchange over the phone and would include a return label to ship the old rod back. Since the Rplxi was discontinued they agreed to send me a brand new Xi2 :smokin: . The rod arrived via Fed ex today. I made a quick jaunt down to the local dock and I am very impressed. The rod is fast but not stiff and has great feel. I am optimistic that it will meet/exceed the Rplxi's performance over time. Can't wait to break it in over the weekend. One satisfied customer here.

Sean

doogue
06-14-2006, 06:54 AM
You really cannot beat LL Bean for quality of service.

I have bought from them for many, many years.

There is a Bean outlet here in Manchester, NH and that makes any returns process even easier. I high sticked a striper during the Fall last year and broke an older Bean 9 weight. I had a replacement within a few days of visiting the outlet and making an exchange.

Enjoy the rod Sean!

Dble Haul
06-14-2006, 08:57 AM
Sean, I'm glad to hear that you had a good experience with the customer service. I used to live in the Portland/South Portland Maine area, which was only twenty minutes from the main store in Freeport. Their service is outstanding in person, so I can only imagine how strong it is over the phone.

It's nice to hear of a positive experience. Very often it's the negatives that get reported.

BigDave
06-14-2006, 10:55 AM
That's great service. I'm sending my Xi2 in today..we'll see how long it takes to come back from Bainbridge Island.

D3Smartie
06-14-2006, 11:29 AM
how bad a break is it? and where is the break?
Most of the time i can walk in and out in less than 5 minutes if it is anything but a butt section.

BigDave
06-14-2006, 11:36 AM
Not a break...water is getting in under the wraps and the blue coating is coming off. There is also rust on the guide feet under the epoxy. This has created some rough surfaces and I dont want to damage my lines.

It's an awesome rod but it has seen a lot of heavy use over the last couple seasons with heavy fish, heavy lines and getting banged around in the boat.

Hopefully they can turn it around quick.

juro
06-14-2006, 01:22 PM
Sage has been AWESOME for service to me over the years. I bought my first one two decades ago and I now own 8 dont tell the wife. Of course I like other rods too some better some not, each brand has it's stellar rods and it's duds. I also love my new VT2 8139-4 Spey action two-hander.

Had a problem once where they put the reel seat off center but they fixed it the second time around no charge, even covered shipping.

Thumbs up from me on service.

D3Smartie
06-14-2006, 01:26 PM
that may take longer to turn because they will probably just strip it and re-wrap it. Longest i have waited on a rod though is 4 days. And that was from 3 rods that had a lobster pot fall on them. Love the Sage customer service.:)

Smcdermott
06-14-2006, 01:33 PM
I'm not saying Sage isn't good at service. I got a 12wt Xi2 this Christmas that I later realized had a blemish in clear coat. They repaired it and waived the $40 handling fee. It did take about a month to get the rod back in the middle of the winter though. This was my go to rod for the most part and being without it for that length of time would have been painful and probably resulted in a back-up purchase. LL Bean just went way beyond expectations and IMO worthy of a "good job".

Sean

Warren
06-14-2006, 07:29 PM
Sean, I love my Xi-2's that is what I had this spring when I was down fishing with you. I have not yet had to experience Sage's warranty dept. But some day I am sure I will. It is good to hear LL is still everything they were in the past regarding service. I view LL Bean as a Yuppie clothing store these days. Maybe I should rethink that position.

Warren

BLACK FRANCIS
06-16-2006, 06:26 AM
D3Smartie - i realize ou are a shill for sage but 4 days? come on. i have sent over 30 rods back to sage as my experience and they always take around a month from the east. i have had two spey rods take around two months. this is no better or worse than any other company i have dealt with. if you are going to blantantly pad sages files you may want to change your stated location so it doesn't look so bad.

chromer
06-16-2006, 06:45 AM
I agree with nick.. . I could take the ferry to Sage and drop a rod off where I am, and they still take a couple weeks (which is great by me). I love sage and have been fishing them for a lot of years over 20.

But when someone like smartie toots the horn too loud it makes my ears hurt