Upsalquitch [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Upsalquitch

titleguy
06-13-2006, 10:07 AM
Going to fish the Upsalquitch in two weeks for four days ( it's not what you know; it's who you know:smokin: ) Planning on bring 9 ft 8 wt, 6wt spey and 10 ft. 6 wt. Will I be under-gunned with the 6s- both are pretty hefty sticks? Also, what about leaders, tippet, fly selection, etc.? Thanks in advance.

Smolt
06-14-2006, 10:46 AM
Going to fish the Upsalquitch in two weeks for four days ( it's not what you know; it's who you know:smokin: ) Planning on bring 9 ft 8 wt, 6wt spey and 10 ft. 6 wt. Will I be under-gunned with the 6s- both are pretty hefty sticks? Also, what about leaders, tippet, fly selection, etc.? Thanks in advance.

While I have never fished the U., I think the 10-ft 6-wt -- in late June -- would not be enough rod for any salmon river in the Maritimes. A substantial 6-wt two-hander, however, should do the trick, provided it is shorter than 14 feet long.

As far as tippet is concerned, unless the water is very low, 10lb Maxima or a good 10lb flourocarbon would be as low as I would go. Leader should be at least the length of your rod. The "John Olin" has been a good fly on both the Matapedia and the Miramichi for the last couple of seasons, so I would give it a try on the U.

BTW, where in Maine are you from?

Hope this helps.

titleguy
06-14-2006, 11:19 AM
Thanks Smolt. My spey is 11' 9", but I'm very new ( read not good) at casting the two hander. I'm Ok on the overhead cast, so if I have the room for a back cast I can chuck some line. Never heard of the "John Olin", have to check it out.

I'm from Bangor, how about you?

Smolt
06-14-2006, 11:37 AM
I used to live in Portland, but, unfortunately for me, I now live in the Midwest.

I have used a Winston BIIx 11-ft 7-wt rod on both the Matapedia and the Miramichi. I like it very much. That rod was designed as an overhead rod and is a true 7-wt., so your two-handed 6-wt should be just fine. The largest fish I have caught with my rod was only about 10 pounds. The fish was caught in very high water and the rod performed beautifully. I don't think I would have too much trouble landing fish to 20 pounds with the rod. Hopefully, I'll put it to the test on a big fish when I fish the Miramichi in July.

CK

titleguy
06-14-2006, 11:40 AM
This is my first foray for atlantics so I'm pretty excited about it. One advantage of being divorced now is that I get to take some trips that I couldn't do before. Have fun in July.

titleguy
06-30-2006, 09:34 AM
Got back on Wednesday night; interesting experience. I have not done a lot of guided fishing nor been waited upon so much as this trip, almost a little too civilized for me. Beautiful river and country. The tally- 6 guys 7 grilse. Fished Sunday evening, two sessions Monday, two sessions on Tuesday. What a beautiful and powerful fish.