another hook removal method [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: another hook removal method

sean
06-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Well I lied I did hook a 40+ inch moron(e) on Sunday.

It was a little windy out there and I went to pick up a cast I knew I should not have and imbedded a 1/0 hook past the barb into my cheek. I usually do not fish barbed hooks but I was tired and did not bother crimping it this morning...

So it is 5am and no one around and I got a shrimp fly hanging out of my cheek. Now it was a lady caroline so it was quite the fashionable statement but I as thinking a trip to the ER was in order. However upon further tugging I realized it was just inside my cheek and had not gone through. So I pointed my face diurectly into the wind for 5 minutes for a little numbing effect and proceeded to push the hook through rather than coming back out where it came through. It was easier and surprisingly did not hurt at all. Lucky it was a sharp 811s tiemco. A mustad would have hurt!

After that I walked back to the car and pulled out the wire cutter and snipped the hook behind the barb. Then pulled the hook back through and I was free. Today you cannot even see where it happened and does not hurt at all. Not sure if there is a moral to the story other than think about fishing barbless and do not pick up those casts you know are going to blow right back into your face :)

-sean

juro
06-12-2006, 10:47 PM
That reads like an article in "Real Men's Quarterly" ;)

Good to hear you avoided serious injury seeing as the cheek is only a few inches from the eye.

tomd
06-12-2006, 11:09 PM
well Sean, you coulda been all the rage by putting some kinda peircing do-dad in the holes!!!!
:chuckle:

OC
06-13-2006, 10:30 AM
He is from Seattle where real men have purple hair and many sharp objects stuck in all types of body places. Glad to hear you are OK. Are there many coffee stands in RI?

Doc Duprey
06-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Once again, the West Coast leads the way in fashion trends...

-Doc

FishHawk
06-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Another reason to use a floating line with multiple flies.:lildevl: Just think you could have been using a sinker and Clouser which would have led to a trip to the ER.:hihi: FishHawk

SSPey
06-13-2006, 02:00 PM
I did the "push through and snip" once and it worked great, but with one terrible side effect. During the surgery I put my rod-n-reel on top of my car (which I never do otherwise) and completely forgot about it. Drove off - the outfit didn't skitter off the roof until I reached 50 mph. To my horror, I watched graphite splinters being made in the rear view mirror

OC
06-13-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm not so sure if the west coast leads the fashion world. Seems many years ago before the fly fishing fashion statement began there were a lot of one foot long Atom plugs stuck in eyebrows, ears and hands down on the big ditch. I bet that fashion statement still exists when stripas feed and the camo crowd move in.:cool:

teflon_jones
06-13-2006, 02:45 PM
What I wouldn't give for a picture. :)

Adrian
06-13-2006, 04:01 PM
Was this a spey-casting cognitive malfunction :Eyecrazy: You're way too young to be getting Altzeimers :whoa: Now in my case I have all sorts of excuses - mostly self inflicted by a "less than righteous" lifestyle :roll:

The real moral of this story is "keep those hooks sharp" - easy in = easy out :D

Good to hear it turned out ok! :smokin:

jfbasser
06-13-2006, 04:57 PM
There is a saying about "turn the other........"...but I won't go there:)

Glad it turned out OK

rooster
06-13-2006, 07:21 PM
Just make an appointment with Dr. Hook, aka Jim Simms and he will operate in no time. I have now witnessed Jimmy's hook removing expertise on 2 different south beach anglers. Both of these guys were "keeper size "also. Keith would not want to use either, Jim's son, Chris or my friend, Tom as the "average male" that he had to Float Test the latest RR in for the USCG!. I am curious to see if Jim's hook removal technique also works on most of us "baby striper" sized anglers!:razz:

sean
06-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Well I was one of those kids with the purple hair and the pierced eyebrows so maybe that helped get over the inital shock of having to push a hook on through to the other side.

Good thing is I did have my clear casting glasses on and think I may keep wearing them when fishing in low light and night time conditions. Cause no way am I pushing anything through my eyeball :eek:

Well out again to chase my 40 incher...tonight may just be the night...

-sean