No shortage of fish in CT! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: No shortage of fish in CT!

Dble Haul
06-07-2006, 10:00 AM
I took yesterday off from work because we needed our hot water heater replaced. They job was done by one o'clock, so I took the kayak down to the shore near the mouth of the Thames to do some fishing. I needed to relax a bit after spending so much money on the heater......yeah, that's it. :devil:

I generally don't like fishing this area with a northeast wind, but I made it work. I caught a handful of schoolies with a fast sinking line presentation on the inside corner of an estuary during the incoming, but scored wonderfully on the stripers during the outgoing with an intermediate line and a six inch sand eel pattern. I also hooked what I thought to be my first bluefish of the season, only to later discover that it was my biggest hickory shad ever (about 22"). Nice jumps. :)

Final tally: one mutant shad, about four stripers just shy of legal, and countless 18-20" schoolies. When the sun peeked through a few times, I actually got some sight fishing in.

Glad I got the fishing in before this storm hit last night....yikes! :whoa:

evj263
06-07-2006, 01:28 PM
I often get down to Madison, CT to visit my inlaws. I bring my gear but typically don't have much luck. Any suggestions on good fishing around the mouth of the CT River or along the Sound closer to Madison?

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Dble Haul
06-07-2006, 02:30 PM
For starters, here's an online coastal access guide for the state:

http://www.lisrc.uconn.edu/coastalaccess/

The mouth of the CT River is great, but the fishing there has been down recently from a fly standpoint because of the rains and limited visibility. Going west from there, any estuary, no matter how small it may seem, has the potential to hold stripers and shad. Also, I hear good things about Clinton Harbor, although I haven't fished it yet.

evj263
06-07-2006, 04:40 PM
Sounds good and thanks for the link. Have you ever fished at Hammonasset Beach State Park or heard about that option?

ed

Dble Haul
06-08-2006, 08:33 AM
I've nevered fished at that state beach, but I've been told that there are some significant rips that form off the jetty at Meig's Point. I've also been told that it's a heavily used spot for bait dunkers, so if you go be prepared to be a bit crowded.

bonefishmon
06-08-2006, 06:35 PM
I often get down to Madison, CT to visit my inlaws. I bring my gear but typically don't have much luck. Any suggestions on good fishing around the mouth of the CT River or along the Sound closer to Madison?

Your suggestions are appreciated.

If you have a good map of the area where water dumps out of an estuary you will find fish. Look the place over at exteme low tides for big holes and channels.

Phil