Big Brother Day Details! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Big Brother Day Details!

juro
06-07-2006, 07:12 AM
Greetings to our esteemed BB mentors, the Rip Ryder team and the Monomoy Wildlife Refuge officials! It's almost time for one of the defining moments for the Worldwide Flyfishing Forum and I thought it would be a good idea to discuss things.

The event will be held on Saturday, June 17th the day before Father's Day at the Monomoy Wildlife Refuge in Chatham MA.

Like last year, the group will begin the fishing session in the afternoon to allow the young anglers to experience the refuge, scavenger hunt, etc in the morning and join us for fishing on the beach during/after lunch.

Special thanks to Rip Ryder who will generously donate transportation for the bigs and littles and BB staff! Forum mentors will also ride free with help from a federal grant which helps to cover gas. This donation by the Monomoy Island Ferry is an especially generous gesture in times of such outrageous gas prices. Lunches will be provided by Chatham Village Cafe for all participants.

Other than the set-up time for "boot camp" we will have an opportunity to do some fishing in the morning together.

Boot camp:
I think the station to station approach works well since we are somewhat pressed for time. Please bring extra rods, fly and spin, if you have them.

Fishing:
Each mentor will acompany the big & little team to the water after boot camp. We have a mid-day low so the surf will be as calm as it gets at slack low and the dropoff will be exposed on the inside (depending on wind and conditions). This will increase our chances of easy fishing for the kids.

Graduation Ceremony:
At a designated time (tbd) we will hold a grad ceremony and there will be a special extra this year - Chuck Hudak (Griz0707) is bringing his pro photographic gear to give each participant and portrait to remember the day. We also plan to award the traditional 'forum flybox' awards as well.

I would like to join anyone who can stay and fish after the ceremony until a suitable time to visit the Squire afterward.

Please reply with comments and corrections as needed.

Let's make this the best one ever!

(Miss you dad, I do this to say thanks for all you did for me!)

FishHawk
06-08-2006, 02:33 PM
What time should we assemble at the refuge? FishHawk

grizz0707
06-10-2006, 08:43 AM
Hi Juro,
I will need about one hour to print the portraits. I recommed that i take the photo in the morning session and they i can mentor someone in the afternoon. Let me know if this works