Help with Rain/Cloudy tactics [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Help with Rain/Cloudy tactics


PhilaBill
06-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Leaving Wed evening for the cape - returning to Phila on Tues. Was planning on hitting South Beach Thurs thru Monday, but weather looks like lousy thur thru Sat. Forget sight fishing. Is it still worth fishing SB on these days, working drop offs, etc.? or can someone PM other spots that fish well on rain & cloudy days. Any sugguestions to salvage this long awaited trip?
Oh - flyfishing only and not into night fishing. Staying in PTown

Thanks, Bill

zimmjas
06-06-2006, 09:23 PM
Philly... check your PM.

juro
06-07-2006, 04:11 PM
bill

you should be good Sunday on the flats

juro
06-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Whoops!

forecast downgraded - you might just stay on the national seashore or Pamet / wellfleet

head of the meadows right there

BigDave
06-07-2006, 04:30 PM
The bayside has been on fire and I would consider scrapping South Beach altogether unless you get good visibility and low wind.

Making the hike out to Jeremy Pt in Wellfleet can be very good especially if you get a dawn low tide. There are sight fishing opportunities there if you stay through the flood. Be forewarned: it's a long walk!

The fishing in CCB should be every bit as good as South Beach right now. It will also be much less crowded.

There were at least 20 guys lined up at the outflow of Stage on Morris Island last Saturday. Crazy! :Eyecrazy: When I saw that I turned around and walked back to my car.

FrankF
06-07-2006, 09:28 PM
MHO...If I were staying in Ptown I would try Race Point on all the different tides with the caveat that it may be tough casting with a strong NNE blow. I would have to be there just before dawn and also at dusk...otherwise I would have felt I missed a great opportunity.

If the wind is too strong I would go to the Pamet River and fish the south side as well as trying the Northside of the mouth. the southside beach of the bay below the Pamet can hold fish.

If the wind was right I would not miss Head of the Meadow beach. I would go at low tide and try to fish the next bar if sea conditions allowed. I would remember the holes and go back at high tide. Again I would try to fish this just before dawn and at dusk. both Race Point and Head of the Meadow may only be fly fishable on Sunday and Monday because of the wind. On the other hand if you can cast into the wind, the bait may be blown right up to the shore.

There is also the whole shoreline on the bay side from Great Island "Duck Harbor" down to Jeremy Point in Wellfleet. There are plenty of little points and bars along the way. Have fun..it's beautiful there even in the rain.

Frank

PhilaBill
06-08-2006, 01:42 PM
Feels like I'm doing a reseach study...looking at Precip %'s, winds mph & direction, tide charts, etc...then going back to the postings responses.
Here is what the latest weather shows:
Friday - morning looks like a define possiblity, 40% precip, S -SE 5 - 8 mph
Sat - Morning - 50% precip, 9 - 11 WSW
- Afternoon - 30%, 13 - 16 W
Sun - Few showers but windy WNW 21
Mon - Mostly Sunny W 12

Now to go Maps & postings and make plans

Thanks guys!

Any further suggestions based on the wind direction & speed - will be greatly appreciated.

BigDave
06-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Be prepared for those forecast figures to be totally different by tomorrow!

Hopefully the reasonable forecast for Sat/Mon continue to improve.