So Old that It's New [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: So Old that It's New

Nooksack Mac
06-03-2006, 09:49 PM
I just lawn-tested a new rod acquisition, a previously owned fiberglass Fenwick 7 1/2-foot two-section 6-weight. It's a lively little stick, throwing tight loops with not just a WF6F, but also with a WF5F and a WF7F/S. All three lines passed the 80-foot mark, even though that's several times its intended operating distance.

So what's unusual about a rod that was practically a standard in the eastern states? (Orvis used to market its 7 1/2-foot 6-weight as "the rod that fits in anywhere a trout does.") Well, it's become unusual here in the west, where, thanks to spacious skies and graphite, anything under nine feet seems like a shorty.

I bought this rod for specialized use. Here on northern Puget Sound, streams are either miniature or enormous. I wanted a tool for fighting overhanging limbs and occasional salmonids on the small streams where a nine-footer is rediculous. I think this rod is going to be fine for that use, and perhaps some others.
:smokin:

juro
06-03-2006, 11:37 PM
I think I owned that same rod years ago! Fun rod, taught me to be patient with the casting stroke.

Wait is yours s-glass or brown? Mine was a standard brown, purchased circa 1980 (?)

In raising three kids the rod became a casualty. My daughter threw it overboard while I took her trolling streamers for trout in one of Henry Thoreau's Concord trout ponds.

When I asked what happened to the rod she replied "I was done fishing daddy". If I wasn't crying I would have laughed. She was obviously still a little too young for daddy to be pushing this whole fishing thing on!

I'll definitely have to find another one, thanks for reminding me of it.

Nooksack Mac
06-04-2006, 02:13 AM
Mine was custom-built on a brown blank that looks like standard Ferrulite glass, and feels like it; considerably crisper than the two S-glass rods I've owned.